• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hello... & help

roadrunner

Lurker
Aug 17, 2009
hi
im not really new to android.. sort of. i got my g1 in uhhh i think may. its awesome! and android is awesome! too bad i wont be able to use it to its fullest soon(according to most android sites, with saying the g1 cant support the updates :( sucks!)
anyway, i also just heard theres an unbelieveably easy way to root the phone now. which if the stories are true, will be the only way to keep up with android(aside from buying a new phone, which i can, but come on! i just bought this one!)

so here are my questions:
actually first my phone stuff:

it says CRC1
i live in california, so its us. im with tmobile of course.
i have some apps installed that are not from the market. well they are, but i used to think that by putting them on the sd card, then installing them, i wouldnt use the internal memory, i was wrong lol.
im using open home(saying some of this, in case it somehow affects the rooting)
umm oh yeah and i have the android data plan, and myfaves 300. i think thats about all the info related to rooting that i can think of..

now my questions:

first of all, will this work on my phone?
will i lose any features? (i think i saw somewhere that you might lose bluetooth.. i dont use it, but i dont wanna lose it either)
will i lose any future features?(for example, if out of the blue google did continue updating the g1. would i be able to get those updates with a rooted phone?)
is it permanent? (reversable?)
any damaging effects?(aside from ending up with a brick if i do it incorrectly)
what i mainly want is to be able to install apps to my sdcard, so my phone is faster. so while i'd like a hero rom or that sense UI, or some other fancy thing like that, really i want a basic rom. where i wont lose any features, but ill still be able to take full advantage of a rooted phone.
which brings my to my next question:
after i install a rom, is that permanent? can i go back to normal? or switch to a different one?

from what i understand, rooting only gives you access to the root of your phone. so it should really take or give any features. what will give more features is the extra stuff after the rooting. is that right?

all in all, what would be the best way to go about doing this, with the purposes i ahve for doing it in the first place, and also the safest?

thanks for any and all help!
also site is very nice:)

hi
im not really new to android.. sort of. i got my g1 in uhhh i think may. its awesome! and android is awesome! too bad i wont be able to use it to its fullest soon(according to most android sites, with saying the g1 cant support the updates :( sucks!)
anyway, i also just heard theres an unbelieveably easy way to root the phone now. which if the stories are true, will be the only way to keep up with android(aside from buying a new phone, which i can, but come on! i just bought this one!)

so here are my questions:
actually first my phone stuff:

it says CRC1
i live in california, so its us. im with tmobile of course.
i have some apps installed that are not from the market. well they are, but i used to think that by putting them on the sd card, then installing them, i wouldnt use the internal memory, i was wrong lol.
im using open home(saying some of this, in case it somehow affects the rooting)
umm oh yeah and i have the android data plan, and myfaves 300. i think thats about all the info related to rooting that i can think of..

now my questions:

first of all, will this work on my phone?
will i lose any features? (i think i saw somewhere that you might lose bluetooth.. i dont use it, but i dont wanna lose it either)
will i lose any future features?(for example, if out of the blue google did continue updating the g1. would i be able to get those updates with a rooted phone?)
is it permanent? (reversable?)
any damaging effects?(aside from ending up with a brick if i do it incorrectly)
what i mainly want is to be able to install apps to my sdcard, so my phone is faster. so while i'd like a hero rom or that sense UI, or some other fancy thing like that, really i want a basic rom. where i wont lose any features, but ill still be able to take full advantage of a rooted phone.
which brings my to my next question:
after i install a rom, is that permanent? can i go back to normal? or switch to a different one?

from what i understand, rooting only gives you access to the root of your phone. so it should really take or give any features. what will give more features is the extra stuff after the rooting. is that right?

all in all, what would be the best way to go about doing this, with the purposes i ahve for doing it in the first place, and also the safest?

thanks for any and all help!
also site is very nice:)

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Yes you can Root & Unroot your phone >> see the guides in my signature.

No if you are rooted you wiil not get OTA updates from Google/TMO.

You will however usually have all the features in your Rooted build that are in the OTA builds usually before they are push to non-rooted phones .... plus depending on build you select you will have a mixture of the best features from a number of different phones

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones