• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help - an idiots guide to a complete backup

Hi - I've just been reading http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/39029-complete-backup.html regarding backup tools.

What I am looking for is a way to backup my phone in an idiot proof fashion, so that I can get it back to the factory and OS settings it originally comes with.

When I say backup, I'm not too concerned about SMS, email etc - but more of a one-touch way of resetting the phone to factory status in case I bugger things up when rooting (I can guarantee I'll attempt that one day).

Do I need Sprite for that, or will the phone come with some sort of 'recovery disk'?

Regardless of that, should I get Sprite in any case for day to day backup? The site looks very impressive.

Many thanks, Mark

Nandroid backups are the easiest way; they make a complete copy of the phone's memory (but not the SD card), which restores everything including apps and so on. But you can't do these unless you've rooted your phone.

If you didn't have a nandroid backup, you can just flash the official ROM again. There might also be a factory reset option somewhere, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones