• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help and Advice Needed on Desire

Hi, I am new to the andriod platform an i have just got a HTC Desire with Virgin Mobile, PLEASE BE GENTLE.....
It does not seem to be sim locked as i have tried an Orange sim in the phone and it works.
I have seen a Desire with Froyo on it and want to upgrade my phone.

After trying all the guides on various forums i still cannot upgrade and VM is not offering the update OTA.

when trying the Goldcard method I get error wrong bootloader, when trying with the OTA named update.zip using recovery it also throws up an error and exits.

What i have done now is rooted the phone using unrevoked3 method which has worked.

i want to have a stock 2.2 phone, not bothered about keeping the root, if i put the OTA update.zip on the sd card (or goldcard as i have created one) and flash using the clockworkmod recovery which is now on my phone will this work or should i update the radio first and will i be able to get OTA updates in future ???

my desire is:

Firmware 2.1-update1
Baseband version 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2
Software number 1.23.351.1
Bootloader 0.80.0000

when it boots it has the VM logo but apart from that there is no other branding on the phone.

Obviously i dont want to brick the phone, i have done lots of reading and i am still unsure of how i can get my phone updated.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help....

If the VM logo is there when the phone boots, then I think you have the Virgin ROM already installed, even if it's unlocked for any SIM card. If so, you either need to root and install a new ROM, or wait for the official Virgin update. As it sounds as though you've attempted some kind of rooting already, I'm not sure what your next step would be.

Other people here know much more about flashing and rooting than I do.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

Took the plunge and installed radio 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20 and then the Rooted Official HTC Android 2.2 (FroYo) ROM [Market issue fixed].

All went well but the phone was running slow.

Did a factory reset and wipe in clockworkmod and reinstalled the rom.

restored my apps using mybackup , got contacts back off google account and all is good now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones