• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs Help build AOSP ROM from source for Xiaomi Redmi 2

A

Android Question

I'd like to learn to build an AOSP or AOSP based ROM for my device (Xiaomi Redmi 2). THe kernel source has not been released yet by the manufacturer. I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed even after looking at quite a few guides. Any help would be amazing!

I recommend you join our forums to chat easier with other members who are building roms. If you do join, I'd like you to go onto the rom dev forums which I will move this to, and see if anyone answers. and if you register, you can reply back.
I have registered. Could you move this to the ROM dev section and link the same?

Upvote 0
Mediatek based device. Unfortunately that company, Mediatek, doesn't make their driver source codes available without draconian NDAs. Which means even if Xiaomi does release their kernel sources as required by the GPL, you still may not be able to build an AOSP ROM for it.
Oh, no. I know how bad Mediatek is at being open source. The Redmi 2 has a Snapdragon.
http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_2-6884.php
The phone's similar predecessor, the Redmi 1S (also a Snapdragon device) has it's kernel source released.
So I was wondering if that could be used with minor changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: isfrank
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to learn to build an AOSP or AOSP based ROM for my device (Xiaomi Redmi 2). THe kernel source has not been released yet by the manufacturer. I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed even after looking at quite a few guides. Any help would be amazing!
Actually they jyst released tge kernel soruce this week head over the xda or the website to get it

Reactions: pirej
Upvote 0
How are there ROMs for the Redmi 2 if kernel source is not yet released?

I think you can directly copy kernel image files from stock rom.
See CyanogenMod tutorial (see the "Examine boot.img and recovery.img" section) :
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Doc:_porting_intro
But I guess if you directly use these pre-built kernel files, your operating system version will be limited by this kernel.

Reactions: aaronsan and pirej
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones