• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help installing custom ROM's

Sep 20, 2013
Honestly I'm starting to lose interest in the whole project. I want to learn how to put a custom rom on my phone and personalize it but can't seem to find anyone willing to explain to me how! Reading through the threads is all well and good but if you don't know where to start, its pretty useless!

Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved this thread to the sub-forum where root-related questions about this phone are discussed.

Since the Droid is a pretty old phone I wonder if that is what you are using ... perhaps ...
Droid x
Droid X2
Droid Bionic
Droid Razr
Droid Razr Maxx
Droid Razr HD
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Droid Mini
Droid Ultra
Droid Maxx
... they all have forums and all things root sub-forums.

If you have one of these send me a Private Mail and I will move this thread to the correct area.

... Thom

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved this thread to the sub-forum where root-related questions about this phone are discussed.

Since the Droid is a pretty old phone I wonder if that is what you are using ... perhaps ...
Droid x
Droid X2
Droid Bionic
Droid Razr
Droid Razr Maxx
Droid Razr HD
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Droid Mini
Droid Ultra
Droid Maxx
... they all have forums and all things root sub-forums.

If you have one of these send me a Private Mail and I will move this thread to the correct area.

... Thom

Moved from the Motorola Droid section. Based upon the poster's other posts, I'm going to bet it is the one I bolded in my quote of your post.

Now for the OP. I used to read about your phone a bit, and if it is rooted, then you should be able to install a custom ROM (if you can still find one) via either safestrap or bootstrap. I cannot remember, but one or both of them will allow you to 'install' CWRecovery, to make a nandroid, then install unsigned 'update.zip' files; the key thing is unsigned, meaning a custom ROM. Or you can install one without a custom recovery, however the next paragraph still applies.

The real bummer is that the bootloader was never unlocked (IIRC) for your device, therefore, any 'custom' recovery installed doesn't work like otehr devices with unlockable bootloaders, i.e. if somehow something goes wrong with a custom rom install and your /system gets corrupted, you could/would be screwed as the 'custom' recovery is installed to /system and not it's own partition; one to which you can boot to separate from booting into Android leaving you with a non working device and possibly a brick.

If that happens, your only recourse would be if you can reflash a .sbf file with RSD Lite and start all over again, unrooted.

You have some searching about to do. good luck

Upvote 0
p.s. I see that you have already received some similar info that I posted above in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ting-get-deeper-into-rooting.html#post6500342

which supersedes some of what I gave you. However, though we like to try to help, sometimes the only person you can rely upon is yourself to do the actual research. My one sig line says my motto: read more, post less.

I don't know everything, but I sure have learned a lot upon the shoulders of those who went before me by following that creed.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones