• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP! Is Samsung Galaxy S Lightray 4G 'unrootable'??

I have tried three different techniques, to root the Samsung Galaxy S Lightray 4G Metropcs, to NO AVAIL!
My first feeble attempt was using SuperOneClick=softbrick ie, stuck on download screen,
Then I tried the basic Odin flash, with stock uckk4 ROM=Odin stuck in 'set up, and battery died while waiting, as 'NOT to turn off Target'=softbrick,
and last but by no means least, the Droid Charge technique=hardbrick
HELP!!! I have scoured the net and can find NOTHING that has proven to be successful!
To make matters worse, it's not even my phone! I was trying to help my brother in law, since he and my sis are moving out of state, California, and are going to need to sign with different server once they've passed Texas, I believe, on their way to South Carolina.
Samsung Galaxy S Lightray 4G

Hi TangledHeart and welcome to the forums!

One thing you can do is visit the Lightray forums, specifically the "All Things Root" section here:

Lightray 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums

I hope this helps you root his phone. PLEASE keep in mind, though, that your brother-in-law will need some serious training on what to do (and what NOT to do) with a rooted phone. Root is very powerful: it can be a great tool in the right hands... or it can render the phone a paperweight in a hurry. Teach him about doing NANDROID BACKUPS before trying anything fancy.

Enjoy your stay here, make friends and have fun!

Reactions: TangledHeart
Upvote 0
Hello, and thank you.
All things root, IS WHERE I came by the 'Droid Charge technique', and got no further then first command because the device wasn't being recognized..... Believe me when I say "SCOURED", I mean "SCOURED". There is NOTHING, literally NOTHING, concrete or proven as successful in rooting a GSL. I have tried to find anything and everything that even comes remotely close to the specs on this phone. It is almost eerie how LITTLE information is there is about this phone. I know they NO longer sale it, And THAT to me speaks VOLUMES, but doesn't help my current predicament.
I don't know how much either of you have looked into it, but I think if you've spent as much time searching as I have, you'd come up short, just as I have, hence my shout out, and SOS! ;) Thanks again, I'll send a few PM's. Maybe I'll find some pertinent info, and hopefully a way to resurrect the phone. SIGHHHH ;)

Upvote 0
BTW I will be the ONLY one utilizing the benefits of the root. I have already instructed him, that once I have (note the positivism) resurrected this phone, I am to be the ONLY one messing with it. lol
I have background in programming, or I'd not even ventured down this road. I have successfully rooted other phones, it's this dang GSL that has me in spin. Grrrrrr

Upvote 0
BTW I will be the ONLY one utilizing the benefits of the root. I have already instructed him, that once I have (note the positivism) resurrected this phone, I am to be the ONLY one messing with it. lol
I have background in programming, or I'd not even ventured down this road. I have successfully rooted other phones, it's this dang GSL that has me in spin. Grrrrrr

How did you fix the hard brick I tried odn and hardbricked too I want to know how to fix it again plz help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones