• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! Need to hide or password protect text messages!

Hi,
You can get the app Hide my texts/calls invisible. You can choose how many ppl you want to be invisible and all it'll do is give u an exclamation point in the notification bar. Evn the icon is invisible. Its a pain cuz u gotta type a password in fir every text but its worth it. U can choose if u want a notification sound or not. You can evn turn sound off when the xall for these contacts too.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
i used handcent sms.. with the popup feature u can have it turn on the screen (if locked) and you can set it to show who its from and the message. if u dont want the message to appear u can set it to just show their name and then theres a button that says "View" and then it shows the message in the text. since the phone is still locked, the status bar isnt shown

How can you set it where it just shows their name? I got it to where the pop up doesnt show, but not it just says in the notification bar when I have a message. Which is fine as I dont want the message displayed, but would be nice for the name of the sender to be shown still. How do you get it to shw their name but not the actual message? Thanks to anyne who helps:)

Upvote 0
i used handcent sms.. with the popup feature u can have it turn on the screen (if locked) and you can set it to show who its from and the message. if u dont want the message to appear u can set it to just show their name and then theres a button that says "View" and then it shows the message in the text. since the phone is still locked, the status bar isnt shown

How can i get rid of the "view" button that appears when i receive text msgs. Need help!:thinking:

Upvote 0
How can i get rid of the "view" button that appears when i receive text msgs. Need help!:thinking:

handcent - menu - settings - notification settings - notification settings:
-check "privacy mode" if you want to hide the sender and body of the message from the notification bar. the only thing that shows up in the notification bar is "new message"

I've been playing with all the many many handcent settings all night, so here's what I've figured out so far:

handcent - menu - settings - notification settings - enable popup (or uncheck it if you would rather not see a popup at all)
popup settings:
-uncheck "show when locked" and "show over lock screen fix" to hide the whole popup until after you have unlocked your phone
-check "restrict popup" to have the popup show only when then phone is locked, requiring a phone unlock to see the popup and read the text; but if a text is received while the phone is unlocked, there is no popup at all (all you get is a sound or icon or whatever in the notification bar, however you have it set up)

With those settings, phone dormant and locked, new text comes in, notification bar says only "new message" and the phone has to be unlocked before I can see who and what the message is and reply.

If you want to go a step farther and restrict your texts from being accessed even after your phone has been unlocked:
handcent - menu - settings - security and privacy - security lock type (pick either a pattern or a pin) NOW you have to enter that lock before any messages can be accessed. If you were to receive a message while someone else was playing on your phone, all they would see is "new message" and if they pulled down the notification bar and tried to open it, they would be asked for your password.
You can also change "security level" to password protect just handcent messages, or handcent and stock messages.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is handcent - menu - settings - notification settings - popup settings: "privacy mode"
It says "message content will only be shown after unlock" which sounds to me like if checked, it should password protect new incoming messages from being read even if your phone is already unlocked when the message is received. However, that is not that case and I have toggled it on and off and tried sending myself messages with the phone locked and unlocked and every combination I can think of, but it doesn't seem to do anything? I realize that turning on "security lock" basically accomplishes the same thing, but having to enter a password every single time you want to see your inbox is annoying. It would be cool if there was a way to have the app ask you for a password only when you try to read a new text, not when your inbox is full of read messages. Other than that, great app, TON of personalization settings.

Upvote 0
My android fascinate updated automatically yesterday. I have handcent so that my texts can't be read by anyone. This used to also put a password on the messaging part of my phone. Since the update happened, the messaging part of my phone can be opened without a password. I just installed Perfect AppLock but it did not protect the messaging either. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones