• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! Phiremod stuck in perpetual loading circles.

LOVEDROIDS

May 28, 2011
HELP! I rooted my NC in May and used the Phiremod 6.2 rom. It was beautiful, fast and glitch-free. I could happily have lived without changing or updating things forever. Ok, I'm proud of the fact that I was able to root and rom it without begging my kids to take over, and without killing anyone during the frustrating moments. But I have no need to experiment...I use it primarily as an ereader, and to check email. Boring, but I loved it.

The other day, a box popped up and I clicked OK before reading it. Stupid move, I know. Don't know what I thought it was, but as it disappeared, I saw it was an update to clockwork mod, or overclock, can't remember. It rebooted, gave me a new box that let me up the clock from 800 to 925. Worked fine for a few days.

Yesterday, the wifi connection started to cut in and out rapidly, no control, kept recognizing my system, then disconnected, saying it was out of range. Rebooted, again things were fine.

Today, I was reading a library book in the overdrive media app when it went to black. This was several hours into the reading, but battery was still at 49%. Shut it down, reopened, black page and loading circle, then FC notice. Tried several other apps, market, etc, same thing.... Load, load, load, force close notice. I rebooted multiple times, even tried rebooting into recovery, no change. I read Colchiro's advice about updating Phiremod, checking clockwork mod recovery, download rom, etc, but they just went into the perpetual load cycle as well. Backed everything up with Titanium backup (which did work!). But don't know what to do now.

Is there a quick, easy way to get things back to where it was? And any way to prevent it from happening again? Or will I need to start doing the nightly build thing just to protect myself?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

PM 6.2 is a bad version (I've heard). You could try PM 6.3, then if that works, backup and try a newer version. I like roms from Rom Manager since I don't have to download on the pc, copy them over and then update it.

From recovery, advanced menu (I think), try fixing permissions to fix the FC's.

Upvote 0
This will be one of the rare times that I disagree with Cochiro.
You describe PM 6.2 as "beautiful, fast and glitch-free", and say that you have no need to experiment. To me that says you need to leave your NC just like it is.

I would make one suggestion, if you haven't done so already, go in to ROM Manager and make a backup. If you're going to click 'yes' on any random box that pops up, you may need a known-good fallback place to restore from. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help. I did the rom backup, which is a comforting security blanket:)

Also, I still have the original Phiremod rom on my SD card. I followed all of Colchiros' directions meticulously when I did the root, but never deleted the rom from the card. If something dire were to occur, could I reflash that file and have it work like the first time, or would that cause problems? Or, possibly load it on another nook, simply because I like how it works?

I know these questions probably seem simplistic, and I definitely consider myself a newbie. It's not that I don't like to experiment. It's just that I don't trust my technical abilities and don't feel the need to until I see a major change in style or performance.

But I do read all your posts daily and want to thank both of you for your patience and the education you give us.

I would never have attempted rooting without the excellent advice and guidance I've gotten here. (which is why my nook is rooted and my phone isn't:))

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones