• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help: Samsung Galaxy S2 won't connect to Kies

For those who want to use KIES to update their phone but cant get KIES to function as it should, maybe should try the OTA option to update the firmware. For all other uses eg: syncing data/ transferring data from phone -> memory card etc should seriously have a look at ‘MyPhoneExplorer’ FJ Software Development I use it for my phone and never missed KIES

Upvote 0
I too had the same issue with my galaxy s2. This is how the issue was solved.
- Click on troubleshoot connection errors in Kies. this will install the kies drivers
- opened Kies application on pc
- Restarted the phone and connected to the pc
- This will install the drivers from Windows update. there will be around 3 drivers inclusing one for GT1900.

once the drivers are installed , kies recognises the phone and synchs without issue.

this was on Windows 7. Kies versio 2.5.n.n.n.n

Upvote 0
My issue was two fold: connecting to Kies and upgrading to ICS.

I hope my posting will help someone as to how I was able to connect to Kies and subsequently upgrade my Galaxy to Ice Cream Sandwich. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, SGH-i777 (AT&T) phone and I was unable to get it to connect to Kies. A Mac or Windows computer could see the phone as a USB device, but the Kies software could not. Kies crashes a lot with either Windows or Mac so I think we have many software quality issues.

I spoke with AT&T for a very long time and they could not resolve the issue. Because I've been trying this for so long the warranty ran out and the Insurance rep told me that I'm out of luck because the problem has been going on for such a long time. (Really?) Replacing the phone was not an option.

I also spoke with Samsung. (You may have to call several times until you get a knowledgeable person.) And they walked me through many things. Finally resetting the phone to factory defaults solved the problem with the Kies connectivity issue. However, I was not able to upgrade the phone. Kies stated that 2.3 was the latest available version.

After installing several apps that I normally use, I again attempted to upgrade the phone to ICS. A Samsung rep told me to try to force an upgrade through the Tools > Firmware Upgrade and Initialization menu. That didn't work either. The software could not connect with the phone. Also, the Samsung folks don't know anything about Macs which is what I use. The menu option that you need to force an upgrade is not available on the Mac version of Kies. I had to come up with a Windows 7 computer to accomplish the upgrade.

Here is what worked for me:
1) Reset the phone to factory defaults (Hold both volume keys when powering on)
2) Do not update or install any apps
3) Connect phone to Kies
4) Tools > Firmware Upgrade and Initialization

When I did that I was able to connect with Kies and upgrade the phone. Of course you must backup everything to a SD card or some other source because it wipes the phone.

The following link was helpful but not complete to help me solve the problem:

SAMSUNG

Upvote 0
spent a couple days working on this problem of Kies. Galaxy SII on android 4.0.3 cannot connect to Kies. None of the ideas found on the net worked to any degree. Used both Mac and (uggh) windows 7. Every post above was attempted. Every combination. Kies air does not work on either system.

Finally found two solutions that sort of work.

1. Windows 7 finally recognized the phone after

disconnecting from the internet (seems to think the phone is android 2.3 when it is now 4.0.3)

removing any apps that may control other apps such as gemini app manager or virus protection apps

NOT using the supplied Samsung cable. Best result was a short 8" cable from a parrot device.

And even then could NOT backup. But COULD export or import

Better choice
2. MAC system

disconnecting from the internet

removing any apps that may control other apps such as gemini app manager or virus protection apps

NOT using the supplied Samsung cable. Best result was a short 8" cable from a parrot device.

Restarting the phone. Reconnecting.

Kies sees the phone and does not crash! All Kies functions work (though with erratic losses of service where Kies stops functioning)

Can use backup and restore functions. Sometimes need to remove and restart phone again as it will stop functioning for no apparent reason. If the backup takes more than 30 seconds it's frozen again. Restart the phone and it works. Recommend doing each backup separately as choosing "all" seems to freeze it. Also probably one of those backups is corrupted anyway. When you restore you may find it wont work. Also moving apps to SD card did not work. ALL apps have disappeared. Of course they are still using up space on the 32Gb SD card that I cannot reclaim without wiping the card and it takes for freakin ever to transfer that much data.

Kies
it's a four letter word for a reason.

Upvote 0
:)
Well folks, there's a smiley upstairs, so something must have helped. It may have been all of your suggestions or it may have been none. I am connected and my USB debugging is not checked. Where was my problem? Whenever I connected I saw at the top of the screen "connected as a camera". I dragged down the notification tab and tapped on the "Other USB options" and checked next to Media device: And "Bob's your uncle, it worked. I AM NOW CONNECTED, friends. Halleluyah.
Hope it works for you as well.

Upvote 0
I would like you all to spread this word because it works for me after many failed tries. so the story goes:

1. update to latest Kies (Kies also at the end of installation installs latest SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones

2. download SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0 version driver (pls find link, google it or something thats how i do it but i didn't save the link )

3. instal that version driver (if it asks you few things you confirm all and just make sure you install it

4. turn usb debbuging ON on your Galaxy s2 i9100, make sure that the phone is not in lock screen i.e. unlock it to home screen, and connect it via usb cable.

5. when the windows installs all components (Samsung adb interface is last one) and says is ready to use, pop up will come "Open devices to view files", and you open "Phone"

6. start Kies and wait to connect, phone must be again while connecting in Home screen mode (connects in less than 10 seconds for me, also if the opened Phone dir is in the background I bring it up while the kies is connecting).

THATS IT! Try it, test it, and paste it wherever you can and make the life easier to people. Cheers!

p.s. i will sum up the most important things:

1. MUST HAVE installed SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2300_0
2. MUST HAVE usb debbuging option ENABLED
3. MUST BE in home screen mode, NOT LOCKSCREEN

Reactions: immortalneo
Upvote 0
Curious if you look in CONTROL PANEL > AutoPlay, how many times your phone is listed there as a device. My Windows 7 in 64bit created a new device EVERY TIME the Samsung drivers were installed for a total of 17 phone devices .... and KIES STILL WONT work. :((((((((((((((

Although I am not familiar with your device, mine is similar.
I don't use Kies at all so I cannot help with that, but when you plug your phone into your computer, does Kies run automatically?
Do you have the option in the pulldown menu to mount as ptp or mtp or perhaps a usbms?

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Pheva: Please look in CONTROL PANEL > AUTOPLAY and tell me how many times your phone shows up as a device. I have noticed that every time the PC downloads drivers (which I must do EVERY TIME I WANT TO CONNECT using KIES) Windows 7 adds my phone as a new device in the AutoPlay list. I ended up with 17 entries for my phone there.
Thanks

OK after having a nightmare with trying to get this to work and reading through this whole thread this is what I did:

I did notice that if I moved the USB cable around where it connects to the phone it kept connecting and disconnecting so I changed the cable but not sure if it made any difference to this following sequence that worked for me.

Firstly I downloaded and installed latest version of Kies from Samsung site:

1. Restart PC
2. Switch off screen lock on Phone
3. Restart Phone
4. Open Outlook (important to do this now)

5. Turn on USB debug mode in my phone >settings>applications>development
6. Connect the phone to computer via USB
7. Allow Windows to load drivers
8. Disconnect phone from USB
9. Turn off phone's USB debug mode

10. Open Kies
11. Reconnect USB between phone and computer
12. Successfully connect with Kies via the USB

Finally as a check I connected my old USB cable and I could not connect to Kies!, then changed back to my "other" cable and worked first time! So before you spend as long as I did on this, I would suggest you get a new USB cable! (is their a special one that you need for the Galaxy S2?)

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Mikey: I did have Keys set to auto start when the phone was plugged in, but all that did was freeze everything else on my QuadCore computer and KIES would ever connect to the phone anyway. So I turned auto start off.

I do have the screen to select MTP or PTP (MTP is checked by default), If I am connected and KIES is open, if phone has MTP checked, and I switch it to PTP, KIES will cause new drivers to be installed (2 of which will end as FAIL) plus my GT-I9100M is added as a new phone device in the list in CONTROL PANEL > AUTOPLAY. When I click the phone back to MTP, more drivers are installed, and my GT-I9100M is added to the Autoplay list as another phone device. Doing this I ended up with 17 phone devices and 4 camera devices and KIES still wouldn't work.

Backing up contacts and logs and emails and SMS is a pain with backup apps, but at least it works. Painfully. KIES however is the only method for updating the O/S and currently the only way to get KIES to work involves downloading drivers, rebooting phone, rebooting PC, crossing fingers, and KIES *MIGHT* work once. But only once. Sheeeeeesh.

I tried SAMSUNG support but because I live in Canada they said online support only supports USA and I had to phone Canada support some workday.

Upvote 0
Bill, Kies is notoriously problematic. I could tell you what I really think of it, but the language filters would make the post look like an old IBM punchcard. ;)

In any case, you will have some options if you want to try and NOT use Kies, the most obvious would be to root your phone and update it with a custom ROM. I have the AT&T version of the S2 (SGH-i777) and have the SuperNexus JB rom on it and like it quite a bit more that stock. I'd be happy to help you with that, if you're interested.

However, I do understand that rooting is not for everyone, so back to Kies. I recommend uninstalling everything related to Kies including any device listings for your phone in Windows device manager. Get rid of any file remnants and reboot your PC.

Then, create a new user on your PC called "Kies" and grant it admin privileges. Log in to that account and install kies there. Once the installation completes (with a new set of drivers) plug in your phone and see if it then will work.

If so, keep the Kies account ONLY for backups and updates of your phone and use your PC 99% of the time as a standard user.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I am having a related problem with Kies. I run a Sam Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 with Android 4.1.2 on it. My Kies is ver 2.6.0.13074_14. When I use Kies to synchronise my phone with MS Outlook 2007 on my computer, all the elements of Outlook synchronise well across to my phone, except for the Outlook Calendar. It refuses to synch, and just hangs. I then have to cancel the synch. Any ideas, please?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

After an hour wrestling with this problem I switched cables and it did work. The cable I previously used was some nameless brand that charged my phone from the computer USB OK but did not connect to Kies.

Then I found the Samsung cable from my shelf, tried it and the phone did connect straight away.

HTH someone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones