• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! Samsung Won't Repair My In-Warranty Phone Because I Said I Use A Blackberry AC Adapter!

This is the (Samsung UK) Warranty Policy I can see under Mobile Devices (trying to find more detailed Warranty Terms):

Warranty Policy

Warranty periods and warranty services are intended as a guide only and variations may occur. The warranty period applies from the date of purchase by the first customer and is transferable only between end-users. The warranty covers manufacturing defects only. Please note that this does not include consumables items such as batteries, bulbs, and ink cartridges unless listed above under 'general information'. The liability of Samsung Electronics (or its appointed maintenance agent) is limited to the cost of repair and/or replacement of the product under warranty. The warranty is invalidated if the defect is caused (howsoever) by misuse, neglect, and tampering or incorrect adjustment. It is invalidated if unauthorized persons carry out any alterations and/or repairs. Also, the warranty is invalidated in the following cases:

For the repair of a domestic product used in a commercial environment
For repair due to incorrect installation in your home
For repair to any product where the serial number has been removed

damage that is attached to or used in connection with the product. Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd support a product purchased in Europe if it has an EU Bloc Warranty. This warranty is present where the top of the product warranty card clearly states 'European Bloc'. If the product is purchased in another part of the globe then Samsung may attempt a repair. Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd cannot guarantee the outcome.

To obtain technical assistance or to book a service/repair to your product under warranty, please contact our customer care centre. To assist our customer service team, please have your model number, serial number and date of purchase ready when calling.

Maybe using a non-Samsung accessory comes under "incorrect installation"? It's also becoming the norm (at least in the city centre pubs I visit) where you can use a charging hub for your phone, you put

Upvote 0
BlackBerry Portable PlayBook International Travel Charger with UK/EU/NA/AUS Adapter - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The charger, in case anyone hasn't heard of it, is for the now-defunct Blackberry Playbook (tablet), which charges MicroUSB at 2amp.
41D36EU51VL.jpg

Upvote 0
On Hotukdeals' Ask Forum (where I have also posted, forgive me) member 118luke (thanks) has said: "Im pretty sure with this Eco-directive from the EU about standardization of USB charging devices that samsung are not allowed to do what they have just done. The devices are designed to be almost universally compatible with other chargers that are of the same standard/rating/quality. My new Moto G diddnt even come with a charger - so they couldn't easily turn around and say 'your not using a genuine charger!'"

I'm not sure about this EU ruling, can anyone shed any light about this? Thank you :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones