• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help with ROMs

welbinator

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2010
Hello, I'm using a droid X as my backup phone, as my DNA is on the fritz. I tried installing a custom ROM. I downloaded one from Rom Manager, chose "backup current ROM" and chose "wipe data and cache" and then selected reboot and install.

it happened way too fast. definitely not enough time to backup and install a ROM.

My question is, do I need bootstrap for the droid X? Or is that for the newer, more locked down motos? Can I just boot into CWM, backup my current stock ROM, wipe data/cache, and install the rom? Do I have to do this from the SD card, or can I do it from phone storage, or even ADB side load?

thanks!

p.s. I'm already rooted, and have CWM installed.

ok, not sure what went wrong here.

I downloaded the spitemare ROM, booted into recover by opening bootstrap, clicking "bootstrap recovery" then when it said "success" I clicked reboot recovery.

wiped data/cache/dalvik cache, and installed the ROM. success.

Then using my web browser, I found the bootstrap APK, and downloaded it. Then I downloaded gapps from cyanogenmod's website. same thing, bootstrapped recovery, then clicked reboot recovery with the intention of isntalling the gapps zip file. But now I'm stuck on the black screen with the red and white motorola logo.

did I do something wrong?

Upvote 0
Which boot strap you used 365 or the 311 . I don't know but 365 is a death trap just try 311 . Make sure when you root that u open su app cause if you don't set up my droid wouldn't let me do nothing . And you can't have cwm aka clockworkmod and bootstrap . Just use bootstrap app and make sure you have 100 percent battery or atleast 85 . If battery is to low the device wont boot back .

Upvote 0
entering recovery manually doesn't work now either. I get to the screen with the android and the exclamation point in the triangle, and when I push the "search" button, nothing happens.

looks like I'll be SBFing this one.
it's not search button anymore it's both volume buttons

edit: changed from froyo to gingerbread

Upvote 0
Which boot strap you used 365 or the 311 . I don't know but 365 is a death trap just try 311 . Make sure when you root that u open su app cause if you don't set up my droid wouldn't let me do nothing . And you can't have cwm aka clockworkmod and bootstrap . Just use bootstrap app and make sure you have 100 percent battery or atleast 85 . If battery is to low the device wont boot back .
non of this applies to the Droid X MB810

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones