• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help with rooting

welcome to the forum!!!!!!!
first off lets verify that you have s-off. go to hboot (bootloader) by power off then press and hold power+vol down. at the top of the screen does it say s-off or s-on? also download terminal emulator from the market. load it up and type su if you get # then you are rooted.

ok so i would not use rom manager to start with. rom manager is buggy and has been known to create more problems then it is worth. do everything manually in recovery. also clockwork mod especially version 3 and up use a different script (edify) then what most custom roms are using so you may have problems flashing certain things. clockwork mod 2.6 however uses both edify and amend (most roms use this) same goes for amon ra 2.3. most of us here uses amon ra 2.3(that is what i use). you can get them along with instructions in ref#1 of my sig.

ok so here are the steps to manually flash a rom
1.MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP. THEY WILL BE YOUR FRIEND.
2.wipe dalvik cache, cache, and system.
3.i do an extra step and use Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip. it basically wipes system and both caches for you. i like a really clean slate. this step is optional
4.select install .zip from sd card and find and select your rom

now the first boot should take anywhere from a few minutes to no more then 10 minutes. it needs time to build dalvik cache.

hope that helps

Upvote 0
+1 for doing everything manually in recovery. You learn a lot more and something may happen that keeps you from using the phone's UI so learning the manual way now will benefit you in the long run.

Nandroid backups are vital, in my opinion. If something goes wrong you'll be stuck if you don't have an available backup to restore. I had a bad flash once and would have been up the creek if I hadn't had a backup to restore.

Reactions: kniff420
Upvote 0
so far i got it done cyanogen has been going for over 10 minutes tho on my first reboot after installing it with him just on the skateboard should i turn it off or let it go its been atleast 20 minutes
Yes, as ocnbrze suggested, CM7 takes a bit longer than most other ROMs to get to the home screen. I'm thinking it takes longer to build its cache because CM7 is compiled from source - a big step coming from most other ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones