• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (hi i'm RowdyPants) Please help newbie with froyo update issue.

hey issue solved, and it's kind of a funny story in a noobish way. so when i agreed to the update, it popped up a window telling me in no uncertain terms not to touch the phone and how it will be unusable while it's doing the update. i hit update and set it down, and that screen with the exclamation point inside the triangle with the android never went away. i was afraid of doing more damage so i asked online before i did anything. then when i got home from school i figured to hell with it and hit the power button, and the screen changed and it said something about a bad checksum or verification and the update was aborted. i selected reboot and my phone has been fine since (except for still being on 2.1).

ultimately i guess i didn't need to post this thread but i'm sure someone else will have the same problem so maybe i'll be able to help someone.

is there a guide for a manual install out there somewhere, especially showing you how to keep root? or should i just find a guide to install the froyo cyanogenmod rom?

Upvote 0
hey issue solved, and it's kind of a funny story in a noobish way. so when i agreed to the update, it popped up a window telling me in no uncertain terms not to touch the phone and how it will be unusable while it's doing the update. i hit update and set it down, and that screen with the exclamation point inside the triangle with the android never went away. i was afraid of doing more damage so i asked online before i did anything. then when i got home from school i figured to hell with it and hit the power button, and the screen changed and it said something about a bad checksum or verification and the update was aborted. i selected reboot and my phone has been fine since (except for still being on 2.1).

ultimately i guess i didn't need to post this thread but i'm sure someone else will have the same problem so maybe i'll be able to help someone.

is there a guide for a manual install out there somewhere, especially showing you how to keep root? or should i just find a guide to install the froyo cyanogenmod rom?
Glad to hear that you got your phone working again. There are several guides for manually installing the update though right off hand I don't have any of the links. I'll see if I can find one for you.

In the meantime, it looks like Unrevoked is close to releasing a new version which will root 2.2 and include the option for s-off all in one.

Upvote 0
what does s-off do?

It sets "Security off" and is for root. Since you are new, I'd recommend getting to know your phone and Android stock for now, worry about root some other time:)

As for Froyo, you could use the RUU or Update.zip. The RUU will erase everything on your phone, making for a far cleaner install while the Update.zip will be the most painfree to install.

For the RUU:
http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Inc...4k_NV_1.50_PRL58006_release_143351_signed.exe

Just download it to your PC, and run it from there. You will need to connect your phone using the USB cable. READ what the RUU says, as it will tell you 1 or 2 settings in your phone that need to be enabled. It will be essentially entirely automatic: However, you may have driver errors. If you do, come back and I can help point towards some threads that help fix these problems.

For the Update.zip:
Manually Update Your Droid Incredible to Android 2.2 (Froyo) | Android Phone Fans

Finally: Welcome to Android, the Incredible, and the Android Forums! CHEERS!

Upvote 0
if i were to use the RUU or manual update i've heard i could lose root permanently. thats not a big concern to me because the only reason i'd want it is to do what froyo can do stock anyway. but if i lose root permanently will i be able to get it back when they have the s-off ability?

You will never lose root permanently, it's just a small matter of time really for the various hackers to get it back:)

However, if you root now and set s-off ( but don't do anything else like clockwork recovery or a ROM else you can't update. ), then use either the RUU or Update.zip you can switch back to S-On and you have root again.

Check the root forum for exact details though, don't try and do it based only off what I said:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones