• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Home NAS Music access

mattjtemp

Lurker
Dec 7, 2012
Hello there, new to the forum.

I was an owner of an android tablet, Lenovo Ideapad K1, until it was burgled recently.

I'm looking to replace it and was very happy with it, but just before it was stolen I was trying to configure for our music and couldn't.

We have 32GB of music on a NAS drive, we have a D-Link Boxee media player but the music app on there is pretty poor.

What I was hoping to do was run an Itunes-esque front end on the android tablet and bluetooth to a jambox bluetooth speaker, so 3 parts to the puzzle, the speaker output I've got covered, but I want my tablet to become essentially a big remote control for music and playlists (I've looked at Sonos but would prefer the jambox as it has microphone and a rechargeable battery making it portable).

To do this I needed a smooth music player on the tablet that could do everything Itunes could but that would have no problem with the music files residing on a NAS rather than locally or on a google music or amazon account.

I've wandered around the google world looking for an answer to this but have drawn a blank, a few apps I tested seemed unable to browse to anything that wasn't local.

Incidentally I do have all my music loaded on Skydrive, but would prefer the tablet went to the NAS.

Am I mad, is it difficult becaue it's a loony way to do things or is it really easy and I'm clueless, can someone help me?

I use subsonic. It's installed on my file server and streams music from it. It's great for handling large libraries.

However, the Android player in the play store is fairly basic. It supports playlists but doesn't have all the bells and whistles like itunes.

Also I'm not sure if it supports your particular brand of NAS. You'll have to do some research on that.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check out subsonic, and the D-Link sharecenter compatibility, it's compatible with Itunes as it includes and Itunes server.

I can certainly browse to my NAS using the ES file explorer tool, but I don't fancy browsing to files.

I'm surprised it's not easier, using a tablet as a remote for your music seems logical.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones