• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help home screen blank after factory reset

stargirl29

Dec 3, 2012
how do i get my nexus 7 home screen back to the way it was before i did a factory reset?
i should have left it alone but i wanted to see how fr worked before i added too much stuff since i got my nexus a couple weeks ago. i don't care about the movies & music library since i didn't have anything there yet but i miss my free books in the 'my library' like the n7 guidebook. i'm wondering if the change was b/c i bought it on the U.S. & now i'm in the Nethetlands?

after screenshot
Screenshot_2012-12-16-23-16-47.png

before screenshot
Screenshot_2012-12-15-21-18-12.png

Long press a home screen, select Widget, then Google Play Store, then Play - My Library. That should bring up what you had before.

that worked xcept library is empty.....google says it's not available where i live. i've seen that i can change my dns to another country but i'm not sure how to do that. i'd rather have it all set to U.S. if possible anyway since i bought my n7 there & all my cetedit cards & billing are U.S. anyway.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted, you can just unfreeze the book app using titanium backup for instance. It'll freeze again when you reboot. A non-root option might be to get on a US vpn and then do a reboot.
Something that worked for me (although it's a bit farfetched) was to use my phone to create a wifi hot spot, while running orbot on the phone, using a US exit node (UK works too). Then tether the N7 and reboot, making sure you reconnect to that network once you've rebooted.
Not sure if vpn apps like tunnel bear would work... That won't stay active throughout a reboot.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted, you can just unfreeze the book app using titanium backup for instance. It'll freeze again when you reboot. A non-root option might be to get on a US vpn and then do a reboot.
Something that worked for me (although it's a bit farfetched) was to use my phone to create a wifi hot spot, while running orbot on the phone, using a US exit node (UK works too). Then tether the N7 and reboot, making sure you reconnect to that network once you've rebooted.
Not sure if vpn apps like tunnel bear would work... That won't stay active throughout a reboot.

thanks, i'll keep those options in mind.luckily the easiest solution i found was the 'my google ebooks' app. i can now view my purchased & free books w/o having to log into google, through the app on my home page.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones