• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honest opinion of Nexus One?

I gotta say, I've got much renewed interest in my Nexus after rooting and install the Desire ROM... like a new phone... :D obviously this voids your warranty, but I'm really liking most of the Sense UI...

I ended up buying a N1 this weekend via Craigslist and did the exact same thing. I really dislike the stock N1 UI but I love the Desire. There are a few bugs but I don't see why those can't be worked out.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I have visited a lot of forums on here and have posted my little dilemma in a few, and I will in here as well because I want to get as much feedback as possible before I make my move and sign my mobile life away for another 2 years.
So, here is me; current T-Mobile customer. My contract is up April 14th, and what I originally was planning to do was terminate my line, and hop on my sisters Verizon plan, and get a lovely Nexus One (cuz we all know, that Verizon's coverage is unquestionably good all throughout the U.S., however I'm not bashing on T-Mobile cuz for the three years I have had them their service has served me quite well, with a few exceptions traveling on the road out of town)..That is.. if google will change the plan options for Verizon, cuz I know for T-Mobile you have to be on a individual contract on T-Mo to even qualify for the subsidized price of $179.00 So I was eagerly waiting to do this, till I came across some youtube vids on the htc Evo coming out for sprint supposedly sometime in June. Now, I must say those vids completely changed my mind about going to Verizon, and I am now more currently leaning towards stayin on T-Mo till June then signing up with Sprint so I can have the htc Evo, cuz it really is the phone for me. But, is it worth the trade off? Having a N1 with the nations best coverage carrier, or having a better and greater phone, with some iffy coverage. Cuz when it all comes down to it, what's a super good phone gonna do if it dont got super good service to back it up? It's like driving a ferrari with a 4cylindar engine. And I read about 4G and my city ain't even on the rumored list yet for receiving Sprint 4G WIMAX service. So, that's my current cellular dilemma. What do you guys think? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I have visited a lot of forums on here and have posted my little dilemma in a few, and I will in here as well because I want to get as much feedback as possible before I make my move and sign my mobile life away for another 2 years.
So, here is me; current T-Mobile customer. My contract is up April 14th, and what I originally was planning to do was terminate my line, and hop on my sisters Verizon plan, and get a lovely Nexus One (cuz we all know, that Verizon's coverage is unquestionably good all throughout the U.S., however I'm not bashing on T-Mobile cuz for the three years I have had them their service has served me quite well, with a few exceptions traveling on the road out of town)..That is.. if google will change the plan options for Verizon, cuz I know for T-Mobile you have to be on a individual contract on T-Mo to even qualify for the subsidized price of $179.00 So I was eagerly waiting to do this, till I came across some youtube vids on the htc Evo coming out for sprint supposedly sometime in June. Now, I must say those vids completely changed my mind about going to Verizon, and I am now more currently leaning towards stayin on T-Mo till June then signing up with Sprint so I can have the htc Evo, cuz it really is the phone for me. But, is it worth the trade off? Having a N1 with the nations best coverage carrier, or having a better and greater phone, with some iffy coverage. Cuz when it all comes down to it, what's a super good phone gonna do if it dont got super good service to back it up? It's like driving a ferrari with a 4cylindar engine. And I read about 4G and my city ain't even on the rumored list yet for receiving Sprint 4G WIMAX service. So, that's my current cellular dilemma. What do you guys think? :thinking:

Sorry but I'm about to mess up your whole world again

Samsung Galaxy S is also in the mix. It's comes stocked w/Android 2.1, 4 inches of Super Amoled screen, HD 720 record & playback (30fps), 1ghz ARM A8 cortex chip integrated with a turbo GPU (reportedly has 3x the processor capability of the Nexus) Bluetooth 3.0, etc.

.... and it's a Quad Band GSM device so it looks like T-mobile mgiht surely get the offerings.

Now you truly have a conundrum.

Upvote 0

Include paragraphs next time - your post is a nightmare to read (I gave up!)!

Upvote 0
Sorry but I'm about to mess up your whole world again

Samsung Galaxy S is also in the mix. It's comes stocked w/Android 2.1, 4 inches of Super Amoled screen, HD 720 record & playback (30fps), 1ghz ARM A8 cortex chip integrated with a turbo GPU (reportedly has 3x the processor capability of the Nexus) Bluetooth 3.0, etc.

.... and it's a Quad Band GSM device so it looks like T-mobile mgiht surely get the offerings.

Now you truly have a conundrum.

I can't help but think that because it's a Samsung, it's bound to be crap in some way. Looks wise it isn't much for a start.

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat as you (which i think is the same boat as everyone on Tmobile right now).

I wasn't going to get a MyTouch for 2 reasons:
1) Didn't know there were any working ROMS for the MT1.2
2) Didn't want to wait another 2 years for an upgrade

I was at the store yesterday and found out that for smartphones you can upgrade every 11 months. So now I'm thinking I'll just get a mytouch despite the 528mhz which means I can upgrade in Feb/March 2011. If anything good comes out it will be holiday 2010 which, hopefully, means a price cut around Feb/March 2011.

@shawn1224 Where did you get your 2.1 MT1.2 Rom? I was on the xda dev forums and it looked like we can only root the phone, I didn't know there were roms?!?!

Upvote 0
@shawn1224 Where did you get your 2.1 MT1.2 Rom? I was on the xda dev forums and it looked like we can only root the phone, I didn't know there were roms?!?!

Roms for 1.2 are still in the works. So far the kernel hasn't been built yet so no touch screen is still an issue. The only official working rom is stock donut but one dev threw together a few ports that are manageable. Unfortunately the same dev pulled all his ports off the site because he was a tool but a few of us were able to salvage them. I can upload the stokes eclair port if you need it.

Reactions: seventyfive
Upvote 0
Thanks for the super quick response. I saw all the 32A roms but because of the touch screen issue i was hesitant as I stated earlier. Didn't know you were running w/o a touch screen.

Do you know what our chances are of getting a rom with a working touch screen? It doesn't seem like there's been much development since people started working on the HTC N1 Roms.

Upvote 0
No I have a working touchscreen. The thing was he was the only one who figured out how to get touchscreen working but he refused to share his work with other devs who we're willing to work on more roms for us. Eventually he got called out so he decided to pull all his ports off the site like a little you know ..... rhymes with witch.

There's a collection going up so we can get other devs interested in working with 1.2 but it's kind of slow with the hype of all the new devices coming out. So far st0kes is putting in some effort and if we can raise enough we're hoping to get cyanogen on board.

Hang in there it's coming.

Upvote 0
I saw the thread with the donations but didn't know anything was actually happening. Now that I know people haven't given up, I'd be willing to throw in some cash.

I totally hijacked this thread. Apologies to the OP. Hopefully if he's borderline N1 vs MT3G, knowing there's a working ROM will help him make the best decision for himself.

Upvote 0
I can only talk about my experience... being with TMO for over 10 years now in NY, awesome customer service, better pricing than anyone out there, couldnt live without SIM card. Service: got much better in the last years and nearly perfect. Dropped calls are very rare....3g is working well and will be even faster by the end of 2010.
Nexus one is the best Android phone in the USA, and up in the iphone comparison category so you can't go wrong with it.
I personally love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones