• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Horrible Lag when 4G is ON

AeroSynch

Sep 6, 2010
Recently (before new update) I noticed that whenever I turned on my 4G, the EVO would noticeably slow down. Changing from home screens, opening the menu, contacts, etc would take longer than usual. Even when unlocking the phone and putting in my code it would lag like crazy.

I turned on 4G today to see if there was any signal (nope there was not) and it continued to lag like before. I turned off 4G and eventually restarted the EVO. It is fine, but it sucks that I can't toggle 4G on because of this.

What can be happening?

Thank you.

A. Don't use the widget. It makes it worse.
B. Let the phone sit for a minute or two after it starts scanning. Don't open apps, don't browse the net, etc. It should settle down.
C. Don't turn 4G off while it is in that lagging state, as it will never resolve if you turn it off while it's lagging. Wait until it is calmed down.

Surprisingly the wait time for it is actually pretty short if you just don't bother it too much.

Upvote 0
I have seen two scenarios...

1. Searching for 4g... this takes alot of resources for some reason...things slow down and lag a bit while there is no connection...the phone is using resources to find one. someone with system panel might be able to verify this.

2. poor signal strength while connected to 4g... slow data connection etc

I personally have given up on 4g...I live in an area that is supposed to have it...it never works

Upvote 0
A. Don't use the widget. It makes it worse.
B. Let the phone sit for a minute or two after it starts scanning. Don't open apps, don't browse the net, etc. It should settle down.
C. Don't turn 4G off while it is in that lagging state, as it will never resolve if you turn it off while it's lagging. Wait until it is calmed down.

Surprisingly the wait time for it is actually pretty short if you just don't bother it too much.

I enable 4G from the settings menu. Thing is, it was not like this before. It worked perfectly and now I decide to try it and lag takes over my phone. I let it scan and scan and it lags unless I turn 4G off and restart the phone.

Upvote 0
I have seen two scenarios...

1. Searching for 4g... this takes alot of resources for some reason...things slow down and lag a bit while there is no connection...the phone is using resources to find one. someone with system panel might be able to verify this.

2. poor signal strength while connected to 4g... slow data connection etc

I personally have given up on 4g...I live in an area that is supposed to have it...it never works

I've given up on 4g as well. Its just too embarrassing. Why would i show my friends the 4g when the phone lags tremendously and web pages open up even slower than in 3g. SMH

Upvote 0
I get terrible lag when I activate 4G, which worked fine on 2.1. Post Froyo, the whole phone just goes so slow w/ 4G. I too have "given up" on 4G, as 3G and Wi-Fi work fine and they don't bog my phone down. It's a shame, because in theory, 4G has tremendous potential but I don't think WIMAX (as implemented in the EVO) is a viable mobile technology just yet.

I hope Sprint and HTC address this issue soon...

Upvote 0
No noticeable lag here. But to be honest, since the last update a month or so ago, I have no 4g connection. My house is in 4g and most of the metro area that I travel is supposed to be 4g, and it never works. When I first got this phone, it worked awesome and has gotten progressively worse, to the point it does not work AT ALL.
Just my guess: all the complaining about the battery has turned the 4g radio off(if there is such a thing) or disabled it unless there is an absolute 100% connection.

Upvote 0
[GUIDE - YMMV] Connect to 4G sooner & stay on longer - xda-developers

i have been throwing this around in some of the threads ...it is at least worth a try. and as i have posted before I started using the widget listed in the general section and it seemed to help...though it's been pointed out to me that that would make no difference.

that widget and the above hacks are all that I have done

Upvote 0
I've experienced this too. Using the stock HTC 4g on/off widget seemed to be the main source of the problem. Using the settings menu seems to avoid the issue.

But I've also noticed that the majority of web pages don't load all the way when using 4g rather than a 3g connection. It's amazingly inconsistent. But using 4g a page will load to a certain point, then hang indefinitely. Loading the same pages on 3g ends up being significantly faster (if only because they actually load).

Any one else experience this? I'm in NYC where 4g was just officially unveiled. Is the 4g network that bad here? (This happens even when I have 2+ bars of 4g.) Or is something else going on?

Don't mean to hijack the thread...

Upvote 0
Miami just got 4G a week ago and although I have yet to experience any "wow" effect, I am also getting the lag issue. Makes me want to throw the EVO out the window sometimes. You want to really drive yourself mad? Try the camera and change some camera settings with 4G on... ill give the widget idea a try and see if that improves anything, but I just dont see how a on/off widget can ruin Sprint and the EVO's biggest selling point! A damn widget - are you kidding me? That's like the iPhone not being able to playback music properly... speaking of which, is it just me or does the EVO also playback mp3 horribly? Every song skips... I might as well be using a record player! I'll search for that and stay on topic.

It's a shame b 4G and the EVO are why i left TMo and i had the G2... but no regrets just yet

Upvote 0
We have pre-release 4G in the suburb of San Francisco I'm working in lately, and had horrible lag with 4G when I tried it. What seemed to cure it for me was something I'd read in one of the forums- do a (Menu->Settings->System Updates->) "Update Profile" while in the area you're using 4G in; I'm guessing (wildly, and outta my ass) that the reason the CPU is spinning in 4G is 'cause it's constantly trying to ping an IP address for a gateway that's not in your WiMax service area.

In any case, that seemed to fix it for me- I was able to use 4G successfully and w/o lag in the SF Peninsula and Vegas in the last week.

Reactions: migsnj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones