• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I fix s2 signal issues?

s2android

Dec 13, 2011
Hi guys,

I've been running on Neatrom v5.6 on my rooted s2 for the last 2 months and although the rom itself is absolutely brilliant, the phone now has very poor signal - by signal I don't mean interest, but call quality. Callers can hardly hear me with my voice constantly being cut off.

Before this I used to be on my orange stock fw and I never had any calling problems.

Could this be because I have the wrong modem flashed? (Neatrom v5.6 currently has Baseband: i9100XXMS4)

BTW does a modem file relate to calls or internet only? What method can you recommend?

Btw, my stock phone info:-

(MODEL: GT-I9100P
ANDROID VERSION: 2.3.4
BASEBAND VERSION: I9100PBVKI2
KERNEL: 2.6.35.7-I9100PBVKI3-CL608158root@DELL82 #2
BUILD NO: GINGERBREAD.BVKI3)

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I've been running on Neatrom v5.6 on my rooted s2 for the last 2 months and although the rom itself is absolutely brilliant, the phone now has very poor signal - by signal I don't mean interest, but call quality. Callers can hardly hear me with my voice constantly being cut off.

Before this I used to be on my orange stock fw and I never had any calling problems.

Could this be because I have the wrong modem flashed? (Neatrom v5.6 currently has Baseband: i9100XXMS4)

BTW does a modem file relate to calls or internet only? What method can you recommend?

Btw, my stock phone info:-

(MODEL: GT-I9100P
ANDROID VERSION: 2.3.4
BASEBAND VERSION: I9100PBVKI2
KERNEL: 2.6.35.7-I9100PBVKI3-CL608158root@DELL82 #2
BUILD NO: GINGERBREAD.BVKI3)

Thanks!

As you are on Orange, (EE), with a P variant i9100, I would suggest flashing either the Modem+RIL combo of...

BVLS2 (Taken from ORALSS GT-I9100P) (Orange)

or

BVLS4 (Orange UK)

from, here, after carefully reading and following the instructions in the Modems - Dummies Guide

N.B. Be aware that EE UK has been experiencing difficulties long term and recently on their network.

EE 4G: Making a simple phone call is difficult?

Reactions: s2android
Upvote 0
Thanks very much ironass. I do have a lot of questions and greatly appreciate your help mate.

Your right that the EE network is rubbish, but myself and my wife are both on the same network and contract and she has got great signal, whereas mine is very poor - we also have been given a signal booster, but this has had little affect on my phone.

1. Now I hope I'm not going to throw a spanner in the works, but since I've had the S2 orange branded phone, I unlocked it and moved over to T-mobile (Still on EE). So do I still stick with your chosen modem?

2. Can you please clarify, software-wise, what can affect the call-quality signal? Modem or Kernel?

3. As you recommended, I clicked on the Download button on xda's site to get the BVLS2 and/or BVLS4 files, but after numerous searching, I realised that these don't exist on Dev-Host's site...is there another site?

Upvote 0
1. Now I hope I'm not going to throw a spanner in the works, but since I've had the S2 orange branded phone, I unlocked it and moved over to T-mobile (Still on EE). So do I still stick with your chosen modem?

Yes

2. Can you please clarify, software-wise, what can affect the call-quality signal? Modem or Kernel?

Modem

3. As you recommended, I clicked on the Download button on xda's site to get the BVLS2 and/or BVLS4 files, but after numerous searching, I realised that these don't exist on Dev-Host's site...is there another site?

Try a SEARCH through, Latest i9100 modems or through the other links in the Dummies Guide. Otherwise it's Google time.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi again ironass. As promised, I just wanted to give you an update on the signal/modem issue.

The good news is that so far after replacing the modem with BVLS2 no one has complained of poor call quality. The bad news is that the signal level on various occasions is either very low or no signal, hence people cannot get through to my phone. This is resolved by rebooting the phone, but as you can imagine, it can get very annoying.

The other issue is that since replacing with this modem, the battery life is poor, although I can live with it.

I don't know if there is an answer to this, but either way I want to thank you for guiding me and doing your best to help me.

Upvote 0
The good news is that so far after replacing the modem with BVLS2 no one has complained of poor call quality. The bad news is that the signal level on various occasions is either very low or no signal, hence people cannot get through to my phone. This is resolved by rebooting the phone, but as you can imagine, it can get very annoying.

I am beginning to think that the fault lies, not with your phone and modem but possibly with the Orange/EE network. Try installing the Network Info app mentioned in the Dummies Guide and see what your -dbm and asu are like. The lower the -dbm and the higher the asu, the better. At my desk, currently, I am getting -71 dbm and 21 asu. Anything over -100 dbm and single digits asu is a poor signal.

The other issue is that since replacing with this modem, the battery life is poor, although I can live with it.

This is to be expected if the phone is constantly having to search and reconnect to a poor signal.

I don't know if there is an answer to this, but either way I want to thank you for guiding me and doing your best to help me.

If I were in your shoes, I would update my phone by downloading the latest stock Samsung, Orange, Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2, for your phone...

Model: GT-I9100P
Model name: GALAXY S II
Version: Android 4.1.2
Changelist: 1246097
Build date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 06:09:28 +0000
Product Code: ORA
PDA: I9100PXXLSS
CSC: I9100PORALS6
MODEM: I9100PBVLS2

and flash it via Odin by following the instructions in #1.7 of the Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide. Alternatively, you can take it to a Samsung Service Point and ask them to do it for you as you do not appear to be able to do this via Kies.

Upvote 0
The phone without the Signal Booster:-

-103db 5 ASU

With the Signal Booster:-

-80db 17 ASU

This is fluctuating constantly depending on the distance away from the booster.

I can live with the lower battery life. As a last resort I do plan to flash it back to stock rom, but this would have to be done over the weekend as I need the phone during weekdays. Also I would still want to be able to root the phone too.

Upvote 0
The phone without the Signal Booster:-

-103db 5 ASU

That's cr*p!

With the Signal Booster:-

-80db 17 ASU

That's much better!

This is fluctuating constantly depending on the distance away from the booster.

Constantly fluctuating signal is what is causing the battery drain. Switch carriers.

I can live with the lower battery life. As a last resort I do plan to flash it back to stock rom, but this would have to be done over the weekend as I need the phone during weekdays. Also I would still want to be able to root the phone too.

Alternatively, flash the stock firmware I mentioned and then re-root using the Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide and flash the latest KitKat, Android 4.4.2, NEAT ROM from salesale, here. I recommend it 100% :thumbup:

(Obviously, this does not have NFC)

Upvote 0
Whats the difference between the Neatrom version you mention and my version 5.6?

One is Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, and the other is KitKat, Android 4.4.2.

Also why do you recommend that I flash stock and then Neatrom?

To give you the very latest stock based firmware and bootloader on which to flash a newer ROM in the hope that it may improve your signal handling capabilities. Always best practice IMHO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones