• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Can I Stop Screen Turning Off During Call

i think the OP is talking about the screen turning off during a call when using a bluetooth headset. No proximity sensor involved then. I haven't seen an app to keep the screen on during a call (using a headset or not) so like was pointed out previously, set the screen to never turn off when plugged in (in the development category under settings) or set your screen timeout to never, of course this way you need to remember to set it back when you unplug from power of you will drain your battery fast.

Upvote 0
I thought it was just me, I'm having the same issue - screen goes blank whenever I'm on a call, then have to hit whatever button on the side to get it to come back on to end the call or pull up the dialpad. It's annoying. I can't find anything under settings to adjust this. Will try the "wrist flick" thing and then KeepScreen if that doesn't work. Also - if I have the phone up to my ear to talk, half the time the dialpad goes off - evidently my ear near the phone is picked up and sets it off. Also annoying. Glitches for Samsung to work on.

Upvote 0
As far as the screen going out while using a bluetooth while phone plugged the issue is gingerbread and froyo for Samsung - those updates took out the stay awake while charging under app dev setting. The proximity sensor is a different issue that I do not have. I want my phone screen to stay on while plugged in. I have not found any apps that will keep the phone screen on during a call while plugged in/bluetooth/speaker.
Screen on looks like it will do it but nope... Stay awake will keep things on while plugged in but not the phone. If you look at the new nexus and other phones than samsung (Moto,HTC) they do have the stay awake while plugged in setting. Samsung got rid of it a couple of updates ago. It would be great if when Gingerbread gets pushed... but, I have only heard that it is going to 4G LTE phones which my little samsung fascinate does not do--- I would love to figure this out as I want a phone that stays on - seems simple...
Samsung thinking they are saving burn in or battery is very unfortunate

Upvote 0
Use the speaker feature and the screen stays on. Use it as a phone up to your ear and it shuts off.
Otherwise your ear will be dialing while you are talking.
Ask me how I know.

The screen still goes off with the speaker on. Very annoying. I have the phone on my desk using speakerphone and the screen turns off during the call and its then awkrawd to end the call.

Upvote 0
I have noticed in the last few days that when I finish with a call that the screen stays black and I can't "End" the call. It has just been in the last few days. I have had the phone sence about the 11th of November. anyways I first thought it was a problem with my screen getting dirty and maybe what ever senses the phone is next to my face can't tell the phone has left my face (that sounded funny), so I tried to clean the screen, didn't help. But now that I have read the preceding post, i'm wondering if I'm not moving the phone away from my ear fast enough for the phone to sense i'm moving it?
I am also starting to notice some touch screen problems, I'm having to push harder on the screen to get it to react then I did when I first got it.
I just went through the process of "Factory data reset" I'll see if this solves any of these issues over the next few days.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had the problem after installing a screen cover to prevent scratches. The cut-out for the upper right area where the sensor is located was partly over the sensor. I cut the notch to extend it to the right side, and that opened the sensor. No more problem.

Upvote 0
Its the proximity sensor - it should wake up once you pull it away from your face.

THANK YOU SIR! After spending all morning Googling and not finding the answer quite right I stumbled upon your post. This is my first android phone, actually first cell phone too! Couldn't figure out why I had no dialpad while in a call, and screen would blank out and had no end button until after the other party hung up. The Proximity sensor was set too high on my phone and I wasn't taking the phone far enough away from my face for the screen to not blank, adjusting the proximity sensor also somehow miraculously made the dialpad, end button reappear. Turned it off but it complained about my face hitting buttons, now I got just so it comes back to life when I immediately remove it from my face.

Upvote 0
So I was having this exact same problem every time i made a call screen gone and it caused all sorts of issues. Came here and learned about the sensor, still not sure exactly where it is, but i decided to remove the protective scratch guard on the phones screen which was getting old and not perfectly transparent - voila, it works perfect now. So clean, remove or replace those screen covers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones