• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I turn off this image search/share button?

SampsonNation

Aug 4, 2012
How do I turn off the icon that is in this image? Every time I open a photo or view certain apps, I get this Share/Google Lens search button. I can't find in the settings where to turn it off. It's very annoying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005-161054.png
    Screenshot_20231005-161054.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 266
what phone do you have? was this always there? was this after an update? or after you installed an app? try and see if this still happens in safe mode. safe mode prevents 3rd party apps from running. if it goes away, then it is not the android system doing this(so no settings will stop this), but a 3rd party app. if it still is doing this in safe mode, then yes something in your system settings is doing it.

Upvote 0
I have a Google Pixel 5. I don't remember always remembering it being there. I did do a factory reset last week. This is when I started to notice it. I'm on Android 13.

If I tap the icon, it shows a list of apps and people I can share it to. It says "Lens, Copy, Share, Save, when I tap it.

Accessibility features aren't on, at least anything that would do this.

Safe Mode didn't make the issue go away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a Google Pixel 5. I don't remember always remembering it being there. I did do a factory reset last week. This is when I started to notice it. I'm on Android 13.

If I tap the icon, it shows a list of apps and people I can share it to. It says "Lens, Copy, Share, Save, when I tap it.

Accessibility features aren't on, at least anything that would do this.

Safe Mode didn't make the issue go away.
well i have never seen this popup before. i have a z fold 4 so this might be a pixel thing. hopefully somebody with a pixel might be able to comment on this.

Reactions: AugieTN and mikedt
Upvote 0
I don't have an app called Google Lens. It's not even installed.

I went to Settings > Special App Access > Display over other apps. None of my apps have this permission.

But you did state "this Share/Google Lens search button" in your OP. As it's a Google phone, Lens could be baked into the system ROM, and isn't a separate user installed app? And if this Google Lens search button overlay is showing when in safe-mode, that makes me now think it's in the system, and not a third-party app. Although I've never seen or had a Pixel phone myself.

Upvote 0
I don't know what the correct name is. When I tap the icon, it says Google Lens, Share, etc. I think it's baked into the ROM like you said. I reset everything I could and it still won't go away. I'm also noticing when I press the "Apps" button (Square icon) on the navigation button an icon comes up that says "Share" if you press that as well. Seems like it's part of the OS.

Upvote 0
But you did state "this Share/Google Lens search button" in your OP. As it's a Google phone, Lens could be baked into the system ROM, and isn't a separate user installed app? And if this Google Lens search button overlay is showing when in safe-mode, that makes me now think it's in the system, and not a third-party app. Although I've never seen or had a Pixel phone myself.
I found the solution. Someone suggested I turn off this feature and it worked. It's called Overview Suggestions.

Attachments

• 136087794.jpg
    136087794.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
I have that on, but I'm not getting the share icon

Well, it worked for me when I turned it off. However, now I'm not getting contact suggestions when I type a name in the Contacts app. I also can't get suggestions for contacts when I start typing a person's name in the SMS app. Oh boy...

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
How do I turn off the icon that is in this image? Every time I open a photo or view certain apps, I get this Share/Google Lens search button. I can't find in the settings where to turn it off. It's very annoying.
To disable a persistent Share/Google Lens search button on your Android device, follow these steps:

1. Swipe away the icon from the notification shade.
  2. In the Google Lens app, navigate to settings and disable Google Lens.
  3. Revoke the app's permission to draw over other apps in your device's settings.
  4. Disable accessibility services related to the icon.
  5. Uninstall any recently added apps that might be causing the issue.
  6. Ensure your device is running the latest Android version.
  7. As a last resort, perform a factory reset, but back up your data first. Specific steps may vary depending on your Android version.

Upvote 0
To disable a persistent Share/Google Lens search button on your Android device, follow these steps:

1. Swipe away the icon from the notification shade.
  2. In the Google Lens app, navigate to settings and disable Google Lens.
  3. Revoke the app's permission to draw over other apps in your device's settings.
  4. Disable accessibility services related to the icon.
  5. Uninstall any recently added apps that might be causing the issue.
  6. Ensure your device is running the latest Android version.
  7. As a last resort, perform a factory reset, but back up your data first. Specific steps may vary depending on your Android version.

I have done all of those steps and it's still present.

Upvote 0
Can you google it? if you met with solutions from other forums or other sites...
I tried the other solutions, but they didn't work 100%. I'm kind of out of ideas at this point. I just factory reset the phone last week. I don't even have a lot of apps on the phone. I thought it was "Google Suggestions", but when I turned that off it sort of messed with my ability to search my contacts when making phone calls.

Upvote 0
To disable the Share/Google Lens search button icon on your Android device, access the system settings, navigate to "Apps & Notifications" or a similar option, find the app responsible (usually the default camera or Google Photos app), enter its app settings, and disable permissions like "Camera" or "Search." The specific steps may vary depending on your Android version and device, so consult your user manual or online support resources if you have trouble locating these settings.

I've tried doing these steps. There aren't any notifications enabled for an app that would produce this issue. Google Lens is not installed on my phone. I think it's just built in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones