• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I tell if a software update is legitimate?

Hello I'm new to posting on these sites so bare with me.
Any time I buy a new phone I will get a software update or firmware update a few days after using it I'm curious if there is a way to find out if the update is authentic or not I've been researching a little bit on the topic so far I'm not seeing any that found a fake update
I'm using a Samsung galaxy J7 Prime
Metro pcs
The reason I am asking is because I've noticed my phones will act perfectly fine befor applying the update normally I will wait a few days / weeks befor applying and shortly after I will start experiencing performance issues and my apps will start acting weird I will post a screen shot of the update I am getting now

Any input will be greatly appreciated
Screenshot_20180724-133655.png
Screenshot_20180724-133659.png

I am no expert and don't really know how to tell, but I've had these updates from MetroPCS from time to time with no problem.

I guess I figured that if it comes on when I open the phone, and I didn't click on a link to make it happen, either it's really from MetroPCS or the phones already been hacked.

Being not an expert, that is just the way I figure it, and I could be totally wrong.

I also subscribe to a fee based Anti-Malware app, and hopefully it will be aware of threats.

I don't keep much personal info on the phone, and definitely don't use it to pay anything. I figure any app can be hacked, and if it has access to my bank account, it's dangerous. Something as innocent as that Starbucks account can drain your account if a hacker cracks Starbucks.

Upvote 0
I've never heard of anything hijacking the actual software update system. The only precaution I can think of is that if something like that pops up I'd want to check it is real and not just a pop-up that's disguising itself as an update (like those fake malware warning popup ads, only a bit smarter). Can you still get into the phone's Settings? I assume you can, in which case you can go to the "software update" settings and see whether it tells you that you have an update available. If you can see the update there then I'd be sure it's real: as Notes says, if they've managed to subvert that then they own your phone already, in which case why raise your suspicions with an update anyway?

Upvote 0
There is some kind of thing that hacks google apps

No, not really. Many people jump to the conclusion that their phone has been hacked when something doesn't work the way the expect, or when they see things they don't understand. When phone does exhibit some form of security issue, 99.9% of the time it's because the user has installed something unsafe or the Google account has been cracked -- either by using easy passwords or sharing them with someone else.

A true hack into a mobile device is so rare, it can be considered non-existent.

Upvote 0
It is definitely possibly to inject malicious ota system update, the software update ID can be verified through contacting Samsung through the support chat. One sign would be an update appearing on a different date than usual schedule. System apps will start crashing, if you check the iptables through adb, you'll see Dev and Dummy interfaces. Landroid app shows those also.

Upvote 0
No, not really. Many people jump to the conclusion that their phone has been hacked when something doesn't work the way the expect, or when they see things they don't understand. When phone does exhibit some form of security issue, 99.9% of the time it's because the user has installed something unsafe or the Google account has been cracked -- either by using easy passwords or sharing them with someone else.

A true hack into a mobile device is so rare, it can be considered non-existent.
Actually it's not rare at all. Unfortunately Android doesn't allow you to do much analysis without root. Root will then be detected by many malware types, then it hides and destroys itself or sometimes rewrites itself to seem normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones