• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I add custom labels on contacts' numbers?

I've updated to froyo (Android 2.2) and I can't edit the labels or add a custom 1. I contacted HTC and they say its not possible either. Does anyone know an app that will allow me to edit the labels for my contacts both phone and google?

I'm not looking for anything complex just the ability to change the label from "mobile" to "UK mobile" that sort of thing

Yes, I'm not sure what rocket scientists did this over rather "overlooked" this but this is a powerful and needed function of contacts.

yes, you can custom name labels on the web page, but its been killed since Android 2.2 Froyo?...

Do I really have to go to the web to my google contacts to customize a label?
I won't even remember what it was by the time I get to a computer?

Some of my contacts have up to ten different numbers for different departments, people... etc.... for that matter, most families have several people with mobile phones.

Not being able to assign them a name means you have to guess or make a whole separate contact for each one....

Can someone fix this????

BTW,, phonebook 2.0 sounds scary based on the comments I read... very slow and buggy... not risking my 500 contacts to it!

Upvote 0
Oh its easy all right.... it worked before 2.1...... its just not a priority

Here it is the end of 2010 and still no fix... however my regular moto droid still has that option and it has Froyo 2.2.1 and I still have that options in the "contacts".

So its not about the latest Froyo version... it must have something to do with Sense.
My HTC Inc has Froyo 2.2 and still not custom option in "people".

Funny that my moto droid has 2.2.1 while my later version DINC has 2.2!

Nevertheless, thats apparently not the issue.. must be a sense issue.

Upvote 0
Definitely is a sense problem (all the HTC has this problem, other doesn't)!
At the same time if u change a label directly on gmail contact via browser it sync it with the label unknown...wondering if htc is working this out...

Not sure there is a tie in to that or not... every since a few froyo updates ago this appeared, or at least I noticed it.

Meaning like you said... if you view the contact that has a label created from prior or within gmail on a computer it will indeed show that label, however.. once you go into edit mode, that custom label appears as "unknown".

The whole thing is a bit frustrating since one of the main reasons I went to a smart phone was to have an elaborate outlook style phonebook where I could type detailed notes and labels with numerous phone numbers under one name.

And no, I don't want to make a separate contact for each desk or department within a certain organization.

This weakness makes what "was" a power industrial business tool and renders it neutered into a simple contacts book.

Forget business..... I don't know anyone who has friends and contacts that only have one phone in the household.
What about the kids, and when you do pick a mobile phone.... how can you remember what mobile phone goes with what person?

When using your text messaging service its very difficult knowing who to text to when there are no custom labels.

Upvote 0
Fixed!.... a new app is out called "Contact Editor" by "Dmfs" that brings back the Android 2.1 editor.... now we can add/edit custom contact labels as well as add www.addresses as with 2.2 there is no option for that either.

I've been searching for this every since android 2.2 update has come out. An oversight they have refused to address until "Dmfs" has taken it upon himself to fix the issue.

The app is free!... I would gladly pay handsomely for it......

Upvote 0
Fixed!.... a new app is out called "Contact Editor" by "Dmfs" that brings back the Android 2.1 editor.... now we can add/edit custom contact labels as well as add www.addresses as with 2.2 there is no option for that either.

I've been searching for this every since android 2.2 update has come out. An oversight they have refused to address until "Dmfs" has taken it upon himself to fix the issue.

does it sync the custom labels from the phone to gmail contacts?

Upvote 0
does it sync the custom labels from the phone to gmail contacts?

It does sync very well.

I keep access to both editors as one will do what the other won't.

The basic android one is needed to create a phone number using google, and its also needed to attach the contact to a group.

But as far as "editing" the other is perfect! and can do what the original cannot... like adding web addresses, custom names to phone numbers, addresses, etc.

Upvote 0

.... i tried finding this app, but when i type it into the search field i cant find anything... this is my very first smart phone, and probably i have no clue what im doing; so please tell me: what am i doing wrong? i want a phonebook with custom labels ;)

Upvote 0
.... i tried finding this app, but when i type it into the search field i cant find anything... this is my very first smart phone, and probably i have no clue what im doing; so please tell me: what am i doing wrong? i want a phonebook with custom labels ;)

I "intergrates" into your existing contacts.

When in you contacts...."people", open and contact by touching it and go to the menu at the bottom lighted button on the phone and go to edit.

once edit is open, you will see the choice of which editor to use.. one will be the new contacts editor.. it will be called "Edit Contact" whereas the default one is called "people".

I recommend "not" to set one as default which will allow you to pick which one you want to use each time as one does things the other does not.

You can do pretty much anything you want once you see which one gives which services.

Upvote 0
I can't change the custom label or even and any custom labels under phone section in my contacts in GMAIL site it self ..

when I go my google contacts from PC .. I can't find custom ( only phone , fax,work,home,other)

I can do it in my mobile and sync with google account and it is okay in site...

Is there any trick I missing here?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones