• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I detach an app from the Play Store?

Shotgun84

Extreme Android User
May 30, 2011
Cambridgeshire, England
I'm running a rooted S8 and used Magisk to load a custom version of YouTube which plays in the background and has no ads. It means YouTube can be used as a music player when needs be. The only problem is that the Play Store keeps trying to update YouTube which will replace the custom version. I've turned off auto update but I still keep getting notified that an update's available. It also stops me being able to press the update all button for all those lingering apps. I know there was an app that could detach apps from the market but it never worked for me and I can't remember the name. I'd assume there's got to be a way of doing it with root privileges. Any help would be appreciated :)

Not sure mate. If you rename the apk, I wouldn't think it would work.

Yeah tried that with root explorer. Half expecting it not to work at all but it still does and play store picks it up. My last thought would be to decompile and recompile but honestly not sure how to do that.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Have you tried the apk extractor?..first you have install the application you want to manipulate in the regular way from the play store..then you extract it..then you uninstall the one from the play store..clear cache and data..then install the extracted one..

Let me know how it goes..

Does it manipulate apps which weren't from the play store as well? Honestly I'm probably a little bit too tired (;)) to be doing it right now. I'll let you know tomorrow or later today :)

Upvote 0
I recommend you this Samsung Browser Beta..it has undeliverable capabilities..including an awesome volume output level..among other "stuff"..I don't know if you will find it in the regular route, thugh..

Attachments

• 2018-04-22 13.13.47.jpg
    2018-04-22 13.13.47.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 805
Upvote 0
Let me know how it goes..
Soz for the delay. I couldn't get it to work. Really don't think it's possible. It even has a habit of auto updating the YouTube app even though it's selected not to. I've even checked after it auto updated and the tick box is still unticked. Oh well just one of those things I've got to put up with. Life's given me more crap than this before so no worries :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Detaching General programs can be a pain in the ass, but Vanced is very simple, they have a built-in method for it... There's one way by downloading the universal installer and then the detach.plz file, but the simpler way is just create an blank file called enable_detach in the cache folder..
The guy jsaxon2 on XDA shows it in root/cache but that didn't work for me, so I copied it to the /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.google.android.youtube/cache folder and bingo, next reboot its not listed under updates... now if I could only do the same thing with Facebook Messenger so I can keep version 146 without going up (I like dark themes)
Best of luck... it really is much easier than my explanation, I'll just go back and bold the important parts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_Solid_Explorer_20180622-010924.png
    Screenshot_Solid_Explorer_20180622-010924.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,079
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones