• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I know if my Pixel is not an imitation or refurbished?

I assume you are buying it from an unreliable source, or there is already some other red flag, since with a shrink-wrapped box from a major onshore retailer the question would be unlikely to arise. It's possible that someone would be able to give better advice if we knew more about this.

The short answer is that you probably won't be able to tell until you physically get it in your hands, so whether you'll be able to see it before paying is am important question. You might be able to learn something about the phone's history from the IMEI. The baseband version is often a good thing to check for fakes: these are usually programmed to lie about most of the hardware and software features, but the baseband version is usually genuine information and fakes never use the real SoC (too expensive) and so this is usually a giveaway.

Upvote 0
Google has an article on how to identify counterfeit hardware:
https://support.google.com/store/answer/9096512

It really focuses more on Chromecast and similar devices but the details about the packaging should be relevant. @Hadron's suggestion to look at the details under Settings > About phone is also a good one.

You can also try any benchmark app (like this one). That will measure the device's performance and also tell you where it stacks up with other devices. If it deviates wildly from what it should be the you'll know that something is up.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I assume you are buying it from an unreliable source, or there is already some other red flag, since with a shrink-wrapped box from a major onshore retailer the question would be unlikely to arise. It's possible that someone would be able to give better advice if we knew more about this.

The short answer is that you probably won't be able to tell until you physically get it in your hands, so whether you'll be able to see it before paying is am important question. You might be able to learn something about the phone's history from the IMEI. The baseband version is often a good thing to check for fakes: these are usually programmed to lie about most of the hardware and software features, but the baseband version is usually genuine information and fakes never use the real SoC (too expensive) and so this is usually a giveaway.
Thank you so much for your reply and also to the others. So I’m meeting the retailer this Friday and of course first thing I’ve to check is whether the box is sealed right. About the baseband thing and IMEI, what should I do in relation thereto to ensure I’m buying an authentic, brand new not refurb Pixel?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your reply and also to the others. So I’m meeting the retailer this Friday and of course first thing I’ve to check is whether the box is sealed right. About the baseband thing and IMEI, what should I do in relation thereto to ensure I’m buying an authentic, brand new not refurb Pixel?

An IMEI search should indicate that it's a Google Pixel phone, and if it's been carrier blacklisted or not. But not if it's been previously activated or used AFAIK.

Some phones have a security feature which is supposed to indicate if the phone has been tampered with and modified, like Samsung's Knox. Don't know if Pixel phones have something similar? About counterfeits, I've never seen or heard of one, unlike Samsung or Apple, but knock-off Pixels could exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Answer is that you probably won't be able to tell until you physically get it in your hands, so whether you'll be able to see it before paying is am important question. You might be able to learn something about the phone's history from the IMEI. The baseband version is often a good thing to check for fakes: these are usually programmed to lie about most of the hardware and software features, but the baseband version is usually genuine information and fakes never use the real SoC (too expensive) and so this is usually a giveaway.
Yes fortunately I get to check the phone before payment. I'll be visiting the store. So how do I check the history based on the IMEI? Is it mad work? I really need help cuz I'm paying $950 for this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones