• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how do i remove apps that came on my phone when i got it

I want to know how to remove some of these apps that i never use on my phone, i cant delete them the usual way because they came pre installed on my phone. Also i want to change the format of my phone and get a different text messaging i want the handsent sms but if i get that i get two notifications the new one and the one i cant get rid of it. SUggestions

Welcome to the forums!

The only way to remove carrier bloatware is to root your handset (this voids the warrantee) and differs from phone to phone. Details of how to do this/people who would be able to offer help for your phone can be found in the sub-forum for your device. As you haven't put your device's name down, I cannot put a link to the right sub forum, but if you go to http://androidforums.com/ and scroll down, you should see a list of all android phones, where you should be able to find your device's sub-forum (in which you will find an "all things root" section).

You shouldn't need to root to change the messaging app... there will be a setting on your phone which lets you choose which one you use, this way you should only get one notification... can't remember off the top of my head how I did it, but it is possible - someone on here should be able to point you in the right direction for that!

Enjoy your stay @ AF!! :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Casey!

D-U-R-E-X gave you some sound advice. I would also suggest, especially if this is a new phone for you, that you simply ignore the carrier apps for now. They aren't doing anything other than taking up a little space. As long as you don't use them, there's zero impact from them. And, some apps people think they can safely remove might disable some functionality that Android requires which can become quite problematic.

If you ultimately decide to root your phone and remove some apps, please make sure you have a complete nandroid backup and post the apps you want to remove here before you do, so we can advise you on the consequences.

As for the dual notifications, open the stock messaging app and press menu>settings and un-check the box next to notifications. You will still be able to see the messages in the stock app as Handcent uses the same database.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
D-U-R-E-X gave you some sound advice.

Thanks Lunatic - I'm not a brand of condoms though... D-U-R-X is enough for me! ;)

As for the dual notifications, open the stock messaging app and press menu>settings and un-check the box next to notifications. You will still be able to see the messages in the stock app as Handcent uses the same database.

Oh yeah... that's how you do it!! As I'd said... couldn't quite remember! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones