• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do people get a full day of battery life??

Unless you don't live in a 4G area, why live off WiFi.....what are we, iSheep? Even with my old OG Droid I rarely used WiFi, unless I was downloading large apps.

I bought a second extended battery, so now all I need is an external charger. Anyone know of an inexpensive but not piece of junk one, and not one that comes with batteries?

Why not?

1. It uses way less battery
2. Its generally more reliable
3. Its generally faster(mostly because its more reliable)
4. It doesn't use data from your plan if you don't have unlimited
5. It doesn't use bandwidth from a limited network

But mostly why not? Of course there is no way to verify this but I would bet if everyone on Verizon's network had used wifi whenever possible they would still offer unlimited plans, I would also still be able to get 30-40mb/s download speeds like I did when I first got this phone instead of 15 Max.

At least 75% of my data comes through wifi. Once you save a router the phone connects automatically and starts using less power why wouldn't you do that?

Upvote 0
If I had WiFi at work I would probably use it, but since I'm moving around a lot it would probably take more battery messing with my phone to tether to it everywhere I go than I would save using it.

At my house, I get 25 mbps down with my WiFi through fios, or with LTE, only upload speeds are significantly faster with WiFi. I.don't have an office job, so WiFi isn't something I'm used to.

I've gotten up to 57 mbps down on LTE before and I do have unlimited, or I probably wouldn't have gotten a rezound, I would have stayed 3G.

Upvote 0
If I had WiFi at work I would probably use it, but since I'm moving around a lot it would probably take more battery messing with my phone to tether to it everywhere I go than I would save using it.

At my house, I get 25 mbps down with my WiFi through fios, or with LTE, only upload speeds are significantly faster with WiFi. I.don't have an office job, so WiFi isn't something I'm used to.

I've gotten up to 57 mbps down on LTE before and I do have unlimited, or I probably wouldn't have gotten a rezound, I would have stayed 3G.

Even if its for 5 minutes its better.

Upvote 0
Why not?

1. It uses way less battery
2. Its generally more reliable
3. Its generally faster(mostly because its more reliable)
4. It doesn't use data from your plan if you don't have unlimited
5. It doesn't use bandwidth from a limited network

But mostly why not? Of course there is no way to verify this but I would bet if everyone on Verizon's network had used wifi whenever possible they would still offer unlimited plans, I would also still be able to get 30-40mb/s download speeds like I did when I first got this phone instead of 15 Max.

At least 75% of my data comes through wifi. Once you save a router the phone connects automatically and starts using less power why wouldn't you do that?

When it's too slow. There are a bunch of free access points around here near work. But the conection speed is slow. The 4G speeds on my Rezound are much faster than what I see from any of the unsecured Wi-Fi Networks around here. So I don't connect to them. Either way I can get a decent day out of my phone with the Mugen 1900mAh battery. I unplugged mine at 6AM this morning and I'm still showing 35% left on the battery, 12.5 hours later. This is after listening to Pandora and the Amazon MP3 player for around six hours today, surfing the web for around 75 minutes and all the other things it does with mail, message, weather bug updates, cnn updtaes etc. I'm connected to the 4G network at least 80% of the time during the day. At home when I'm charging the phone it's using the Wi-Fi connection.

Upvote 0
Wow! I did an experiment at work by using Pandora with the screen off through my beats earbuds. There were maybe 15 minutes at most with internet use with the screen on, turning mobile data "always on" so it would keep data on with the screen off. I went from 99% to 1% in 5 hours. Haven't tried it with one of my extended batteries yet, I want to get an external charger first. This was on the standard battery. A friend with a droid charge told me she can play Pandora for 8 hours with the screen ON!

Upvote 0
The only way I can get my Rez to last the whole day is to turn off mobile data and don't play any games, and check e-mail and messages sparingly.

Or basically use it like a dumb phone. I got sick of that, so I bought the extended battery, and it works great.

It seems like I get more than double the battery life out of it even though its capacity isn't rated more than double.

Now, I can leave it on 4G, Auto screen brightness, and play games as often as I want, and still get 20 hours use easily.

Upvote 0
The only way I can get my Rez to last the whole day is to turn off mobile data and don't play any games, and check e-mail and messages sparingly.

Or basically use it like a dumb phone. I got sick of that, so I bought the extended battery, and it works great.

It seems like I get more than double the battery life out of it even though its capacity isn't rated more than double.

Now, I can leave it on 4G, Auto screen brightness, and play games as often as I want, and still get 20 hours use easily.

Which extended battery do you have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones