• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you install to the SD card?

Awesome aaaaaall set up thanks!! :) I guess that wasn't that hard after all lol But all the apps I tried so far couldn't be moved lol I guess I'll have to install some more.

One last question: I'm going to be switching SD cards soon. Do I copy and paste the old SD card into the new one and just pop in and the programs loaded onto the sd card should work without a hitch?

Thanks for all the help!! :)

Upvote 0
Awesome aaaaaall set up thanks!! :) I guess that wasn't that hard after all lol But all the apps I tried so far couldn't be moved lol I guess I'll have to install some more.

One last question: I'm going to be switching SD cards soon. Do I copy and paste the old SD card into the new one and just pop in and the programs loaded onto the sd card should work without a hitch?

Thanks for all the help!! :)
First, system apps and apps for the ROM can't be moved to your SD card. A few apps on my phone from the Market would not move but that was just a few. Almost all were moved and I have over 80 apps now that I added.

Second, since you do not need to partition the SD card then yes, all you need to do is copy/paste all of the folders and files on your old SD card to a temp file on your computer desktop, then copy/paste everything in that folder to your new SD card. You may need to move your apps to the new SD card again though. I don't really know since I have not changed SD cards while using CM6. Not a big deal either way.

Ok I did something and I'm freaking out lol That bar at the bottom with the All Programs in the middle, I pressed and held and swiped up and now it's GONE lol How do I get it back?

OMG it's an expandable task bar at the bottom !!!!! =) Haven't figured out yet how to get back the three original icons.
OK, these two posts sound like you want the 3 icons at the bottom center of your home screen back. If so, then all you did was fling the icons placed by ADW Launcher away. Try rebooting your phone. If that doesn't work, then go to Settings>ADWLauncher>Screen Preferences, and set your preferences from there.

Upvote 0
Aaaaahhhh mostly set up thanks all :) Really enjoying this. The most useful aspects of rooting is the wireless routing and moving apps to the SD card. I really have no idea how people manage with just installing to the phone. I'll be a guinea pig and report back what happens when I get the card changed over (32 gigs!!!).

Sometimes the three icons come back and I press and flick up to make them disappear and get the side-scrolling task bar back with all the programs I dropped there, and I like that more. If it's that easy to get rid of it there has to be a gesture to bring it back.

Next up is learning about how to maximize battery power, learning what nandroid is, and learning how to install a keyboard that accepts gestures to do stuff. I also want to explore OpenHome, I have that one and the ADWLauncher both installed and I kind of like that when I press home I get to choose which launcher to use.

I rooted to 1.5 but I ran into problems getting it activated so I restored to factory, upgraded to 2.1 (after phone and internet were working) and then used unrevoked to root. Much easier with unrevoked and I was getting a lot of popup errors before and I don't now.

Upvote 0
I have had my HTC Hero (Sprint) for 6 months now. I know it's capable of running faster, loading apps to the SD card, and get improved battery life. I simply don't know how!!!! I hear about flashing the ROM, CM6, etc... Can someone please list the simple steps on how to make this phone rock!?!?! If I have the steps listed, I can research how to achieve each one. Thanks in advanced!

[HTC Hero / Sprint / Firmware 2.1 upd 1 / Baseband 2.42 / Software 2.31]

Upvote 0
I have had my HTC Hero (Sprint) for 6 months now. I know it's capable of running faster, loading apps to the SD card, and get improved battery life. I simply don't know how!!!! I hear about flashing the ROM, CM6, etc... Can someone please list the simple steps on how to make this phone rock!?!?! If I have the steps listed, I can research how to achieve each one. Thanks in advanced!

http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...g-guide-updated-7-10pm-est-aug-30-2010-a.html

there is some info, and a guide to get you going...post up if you need more help;)

Upvote 0

If you use a Froyo based ROM after you root, like CyanogenMod 6 (CM6), you don't even have to partition your SD card to move apps to your SD. All you do is choose for the ROM to move apps and load new ones to your SD and the ROM does it for you.

Here is a link to a thread that covers setting up CM6 properly and just the way you want it: http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-all-things-root/184286-setting-up-cm6.html There is a section titled Apps 2 SD Card that gives you step-by-step instructions how to use the feature in CM6 to move apps to your SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones