• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how is Verizon's 3G coverage?

flipteg

Mar 18, 2011
i am currently on AT&T right now. i am in Atlanta suburbs that has 3G and their pseudo 4G. although i get "4G" at home, i come across a lot of areas where the phone goes to EDGE just going around town. i'm not getting an iPhone but i've been watching a lot of videos on Youtube comparing data speed between the two carriers. although most of these videos show that AT&T is faster, they don't tell anything about coverage because once AT&T goes to EDGE, Verizon will be faster considering it's still on 3G.

i'm actually planning on getting the Thunderbolt. there is LTE in my area but i am still placing a lot of consideration for 3G performance for coverage's sake especially when travelling. most of the time, when travelling out of state, unless i'm going to a big city i am only getting EDGE performance on AT&T which is quite unusable. if Verizon can maintain it's 500-800kbps data speeds in those same areas, then that would make me happy.

ive only ever had verizon. so i cant say much about one vs the other but what i do have to say to you is that i stream pandora 4 or 5 hour a day and always in a car and have never had issue with losing signal. i live at the edge of the city and often end up out in farmland and still have signal. i mean there have been a few times when i was out and about and didnt have as good of signal as i could have hoped for but they were few and far between and always when i was way out of they way. so no technical info for you. just that ive never been like "shit i wish i had 3G"

Upvote 0
yea, i can understand if i am getting EDGE when driving out of town, but i am getting EDGE just driving around a perimeter of 5 miles from home where i get AT&T's "4G". i consistently get EDGE when i go inside Walmart, Fry's and Micro Center. it's a bit annoying because when i'm at Fry's or Micro Center, i like to use the Internet a lot to do comparison shopping and look up reviews on items while at the store.

Upvote 0
yea, i can understand if i am getting EDGE when driving out of town, but i am getting EDGE just driving around a perimeter of 5 miles from home where i get AT&T's "4G". i consistently get EDGE when i go inside Walmart, Fry's and Micro Center. it's a bit annoying because when i'm at Fry's or Micro Center, i like to use the Internet a lot to do comparison shopping and look up reviews on items while at the store.

Well if you are going to switch id do it asap! Unless youre getting the thunderbolt or want/need 4G. Right now you can get unlimited data, will be gone by summer. Wont matter if you dont use a ton of data, may be cheaper. But personally, theyve been great for the most part. Never had a complaint about the service.

Upvote 0
hi, i went ahead and bought the Thunderbolt last night. my 30-day return for the Atrix expires next Thursday. i'm returning the Atrix largely because of AT&T's mess with "4G". i was getting faster Internet on my 3G Nexus One thant the capped Atrix. although i'm pretty sure at this point that i will stick with Verizon, i will wait till Verizon's 14-day return before i cancel the AT&T account. as crappy as data is with them, i still have the unlimited on that account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones