• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many times can a cell be FDR?

i was thinking at first about the president Franklin Delano Roosevelt....FDR.......LOL!!!!!!
great depression vintage GIF

Upvote 0
Look at it this way: ten years ago, when ROM development was a much bigger and more diverse field than it is now, many people were changing ROMs monthly, some weekly. And loading a new ROM meant a factory reset. But I never heard of anyone having problems of storage failing as a result. My own HTC Desire must have been reset at least a hundred times during its life with me, and I was far from the most active ROM-flipper.

Solid state storage has a finite life: you can only rewrite any element of it so many times before it will fail. And UFS storage uses relatively low life technology (a few thousand program/erase cycles per element rather than tens of thousands of cycles). So I wouldn't recommend resetting it 5 times a day for a couple of years, but once per month for 5 years would be perfectly safe.

Upvote 0
Exactly - I can't tell you how many times my Motorola Droid, Galaxy Nexus and Note 3 got factory reset so I could either flash, or reflash, a custom ROM. But it was a LOT! Plus, flash memory back then wasn't nearly as robust as today's chips. All flash memory has a life span measured in read/write cycles. My 4K dashcam has a microSD card in it that is reading, writing and overwriting data 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: and it's expected to last well over a decade. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Upvote 0
i was thinking at first about the president Franklin Delano Roosevelt....FDR.......LOL!!!!!!
great depression vintage GIF
Sucks getting old doesn't it? There are not only people who don't even know who Franklin Delanor Roosevelt was, but there are even people who don't even know who Lassie was. That show was well before my time and even I grew up with Lassie, and Flipper too.

I still don't fully trust SSDs to last though. I got one PC that my mom gave me that was released in 2017 (has type C USB and all the gimmicks) and its SSD is already on the way out. It literally takes an hour and a half to go from the Dell boot logo to a functional Windows 10 desktop. It takes 10 minutes to launch Outlook. It won't shut down unless you hold the power button. I once killed an SSD that wasn't even a year old by removing all the partitions and attempting to install Linux. Apparently, one of those partitions was intended to NEVER get removed so now it no longer shows up as a drive anymore to ANY OS.

Meanwhile, there are still PCs from the early 1980s with working MFM hard disk drives. There is NO WAY an SSD will last 30 plus years especially with modern OS's always indexing and writing to paging files and such. Maybe if they ran MS-DOS, and did nothing at idle perhaps. They don't make tech to last anymore, see also removable batteries.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones