• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many users

Count me in. I think we will see some more users once the phone hits the Brick and Mortar stores. I'd be happy for a root solution for now. Thanks.

Because of the price tag I will prolly pick one up on the first. I would do the same thing I did for the evo v with donations and whatnot but I can't make any guarantees at all with this device.

Upvote 0
I've rooted my last Elite using the Jcase method and adb. I'm not very familiar with using it, besides following instructions, but I'm comfortable with Flashing Roms, restoring to factory via an img file etc. I've had a few different phones. Motorolla Droid, LG G2X, LG Optimus Elite, and now this Kyocera. I've rooted and restored to factory all 3 without any problems, and was able unbrick the Elite using QPST.

So if you would like me to try something let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've rooted my last Elite using the Jcase method and adb. I'm not very familiar with using it, besides following instructions, but I'm comfortable with Flashing Roms, restoring to factory via an img file etc. I've had a few different phones. Motorolla Droid, LG G2X, LG Optimus Elite, and now this Kyocera. I've rooted and restored to factory all 3 without any problems, and was able unbrick the Elite using QPST.

So if you would like me to try something let me know. Thanks.

Can you pm me your gtalk?

Upvote 0
JMZ will have to update you folks if he still plans on supporting this phone or not. I ended up changing devices. This is a nice little phone overall especially if you prefer a slide out Qwerty keyboard.

JMZ did tell me that it's the same as the Hydro put there isn't much development on that at the moment as well.

Upvote 0
What did you end up switching to, McGraham? When it comes to Virgin Mobile I don't think anything can touch this device when you consider price and the keyboard. Heck, the Reverb is $150 more and uses the same processor just overclocked to 1.4 ghz with a slighty bigger screen. Not worth the extra $. This device should have a rather large following soon.

Upvote 0
What did you end up switching to, McGraham? When it comes to Virgin Mobile I don't think anything can touch this device when you consider price and the keyboard. Heck, the Reverb is $150 more and uses the same processor just overclocked to 1.4 ghz with a slighty bigger screen. Not worth the extra $. This device should have a rather large following soon.

Well believe it or not I've been thru 4 different VM Phones in the past 6 weeks. I started out with the Elite. Nice little phone, but then the Rise came out a week later after I got the Elite. So I picked up the rise for the Slide Out Keyboard.

I was enjoying the rise but ended up getting a good deal for a HTC One V. That phone was a step up from the Rise for sure and I enjoyed that as well. I tried several different ROMS and settled on JMZ's CM10 build. My only complaint was that the call quality with VOIP on it wasn't very good.

So today I got an ad that Radio Shack had the HTC EVO V 4G phone on sale for $229. I had a $10 coupon for them, so I ended up picking up one of those phones and It's a step up from the HTC. So far it looks like I'm going to keep it. The VOIP quality was very good over 3G, and Sprint is rolling out 4G to my area soon. The Screen real estate is much bigger, and it has a dual core processor as well. So I went from $99 to $219 but the extra money I think will be worth it. It's also the only 4G phone that VM has in the line up so I think I'm finally done with my phone tests. Lol.

As I said, I liked the Rise quite a bit especially for that price point. Once some development comes along it will be a winner especially if you are a Slide Out Keyboard fan. There is however a definite quality difference in the HTC models that I tested IMO.

Happy Testing Guys. If JMZ does end up developing for this phone, rest assure you'll be very happy. He puts out quality work. Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Please do dev work, this phone freezes more than my optimus v. Plus the music player "google play" is having a delay between switching songs. Frustrates me.

Download default Android Music player from the market.

Also I'm in. Love my RiSE and would love someone to figure out this issue with it constantly turning itself off and not being able to turn back on until the battery is taken out. I know it has to do with the CPU being overrun but either way there should be a task kill function to stop it from burning itself out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones