• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to bypass "tethering block" on Three network?

they spot tethering because when you activate the tethering option, it creates another interface on the phone. the phone reports that the traffic is coming over this new connection, which three can see, then it gets blocked/stopped if you have run out of tethering allowance.

I'm curious about this comment, particularly the 'the phone reports' bit. Do Three have s/w on my phone can reports what interfaces are up, or is it a standard function of Android? If the latter, how is that communicated to Three...is that a standard method for all phones, or just Android?

Upvote 0
I'm curious about this comment, particularly the 'the phone reports' bit. Do Three have s/w on my phone can reports what interfaces are up, or is it a standard function of Android? If the latter, how is that communicated to Three...is that a standard method for all phones, or just Android?

this is a standard feature of android from 4.4+. The network relies on the phone creating this second interface. Thats the only way three can tell what you are doing.

The adb command 'settings put global tether_dun_required 0 'stops the phone creating this second interface. Three are none the wiser and so it looks like all the traffic is coming from the phone and not tethered.

Upvote 0
Hrm, but how does Three know about the interface, or is the interface also over the cell network - ie it connects to them so they obviously know.

What is the name of this interface? Is it the rmnet1 one? That seems to go up and down when I turn tethering on and off. The rmnet0 goes up and down with my cell data connection, so it might suggest that it is another connection to Three. I wonder what traffic is sent through that rmnet1...does Android send traffic data for wlan0 through rmnet1 when it is in ap mode, so they can take it off the allowance?

This is all sounding quite creepy tbh.

In the past, I've noticed that when I tether my Linux laptop, it doesn't count towards my tethering allowance; it sure seems to with MS Windows though. I haven't tried Linux for a few years, so perhaps it's time to try again. I've never been much of a heavy user though (I've only once run out of my allowance and had to buy more, using ChromeOS as it happens).

Upvote 0
Hrm, but how does Three know about the interface, or is the interface also over the cell network - ie it connects to them so they obviously know.

What is the name of this interface? Is it the rmnet1 one? That seems to go up and down when I turn tethering on and off. The rmnet0 goes up and down with my cell data connection, so it might suggest that it is another connection to Three. I wonder what traffic is sent through that rmnet1...does Android send traffic data for wlan0 through rmnet1 when it is in ap mode, so they can take it off the allowance?

This is all sounding quite creepy tbh.

In the past, I've noticed that when I tether my Linux laptop, it doesn't count towards my tethering allowance; it sure seems to with MS Windows though. I haven't tried Linux for a few years, so perhaps it's time to try again. I've never been much of a heavy user though (I've only once run out of my allowance and had to buy more, using ChromeOS as it happens).

you sound more knowledgable than me about it. Being completely honest, I don't know.

All i do know is that the adb command stops the phone from creating this new interface which results in using your ayce data for tethering rather than the hotspot allowance..

Reactions: LiuMang
Upvote 0
you sound more knowledgable than me about it. Being completely honest, I don't know.

All i do know is that the adb command stops the phone from creating this new interface which results in using your ayce data for tethering rather than the hotspot allowance..

I'm not literally knowledgeable, that's why I'm asking ;) I have some other knowledge, which is quite applicable I guess, but anyway. I just installed the 'ifconfig' app from the android store so I could see the interfaces (without having to log in via adb shell, which I was imagining would add its own interface(s) and so confuse the issue). That's how I can tell what interfaces go UP (ie have IP addresses assigned) when I do different things, like enable cell data (rmnet0 goes up) or enable hotspot (rmnet1 goes up, as well as wlan0).

I had previously assumed that rmnet* interfaces represent different sim cards, so perhaps phones can have more than just two (that's the maximum I've ever seen in a phone); but this shows that they aren't actually like that, though they seem to be data connections over cell networks.

I'm considering getting a 3 sim for my home broadband, so trying to understand the pit-falls of this route. I'm wondering what the differences are between a data sim and a regular sim. Can I put a data sim in a phone and use it for a modem? Can I put a normal sim in a 'mifi' device and use it only for data (and move it to a phone when I have visitors who want to use it for phone calls too)?

I guess those are all different questions...

Upvote 0
I'm not literally knowledgeable, that's why I'm asking ;) I have some other knowledge, which is quite applicable I guess, but anyway. I just installed the 'ifconfig' app from the android store so I could see the interfaces (without having to log in via adb shell, which I was imagining would add its own interface(s) and so confuse the issue). That's how I can tell what interfaces go UP (ie have IP addresses assigned) when I do different things, like enable cell data (rmnet0 goes up) or enable hotspot (rmnet1 goes up, as well as wlan0).

I had previously assumed that rmnet* interfaces represent different sim cards, so perhaps phones can have more than just two (that's the maximum I've ever seen in a phone); but this shows that they aren't actually like that, though they seem to be data connections over cell networks.

I'm considering getting a 3 sim for my home broadband, so trying to understand the pit-falls of this route. I'm wondering what the differences are between a data sim and a regular sim. Can I put a data sim in a phone and use it for a modem? Can I put a normal sim in a 'mifi' device and use it only for data (and move it to a phone when I have visitors who want to use it for phone calls too)?

I guess those are all different questions...

I wouldn't worry what interfaces go up and which ones don't. I don't.

I don't know what the different interfaces are called or what they do.

You can use a data sim and put it in a phone, I have an old note 2 with a 200mb a month reward sim, this works fine.

A sim in a mifi device will be blocked. There are ways round this, the key is not to use one supplied by three.

Reactions: LiuMang
Upvote 0
hi everyone,

just a headsup, some people may find this useful, others not.

it looks like three have lifted the previous restriction on being able to use a voice sim in a dongle or mifi unit. This is a technical restriction brought in before the demise of the one plan to stop people connecting their entire home to the internet and using it in place of fixed line broadband.

it is however (as far as I can tell), against the terms of service offered by three but now, you wont get the simblock page that you would previously been greeted with by using your (as an example) ayce data sim in a dongle/mifi.

Upvote 0
hi everyone,

just a headsup, some people may find this useful, others not.

it looks like three have lifted the previous restriction on being able to use a voice sim in a dongle or mifi unit. This is a technical restriction brought in before the demise of the one plan to stop people connecting their entire home to the internet and using it in place of fixed line broadband.

it is however (as far as I can tell), against the terms of service offered by three but now, you wont get the simblock page that you would previously been greeted with by using your (as an example) ayce data sim in a dongle/mifi.

Can you link to that pls?

Can anyone confirm this works? I don't want to waste buying a dongle or mifi unit only for it not to

I've managed to get around threes tether throttle by installing netshare app from the playstore, it's free and you don't need root, but gives slow speeds. And to unlock full speed and all features it's 9 quid! but if you use lucky patcher you can basically unlock them.

It'll only work through android devices by installing it on the host device and the tethered device which will run a VPN (I've not tried this method yet) To use it on iOS and windows a proxy has to be configured there. I use it on windows laptop running windows 10 and ran speedtests on ookla, and get the same speeds as my phone.

Streams and webpages load as fast as my phone. Only downside it can sometimes disconnect and stop running but worth it I think.

Upvote 0
I just had an idea,

Turning on bluetooth to share internet connection whilst leaving the phone on 4g.

I wonder if it will touch tethering data limit three has or not?

See here it leaves the phones actual 4g the connection in tact

19243014_10155510924182375_5548403274996142403_o.jpg

will it work or not i am waiting for a bluetooth usb dongle to come.

The point is i am hopeing for it to create a mirror you see, you can share a wifi signal for instance via bluetooth so i am hoping the same with the 4g signal or prehaps that isn't specific enough because i want it to use the phones actual internet on the laptop so whatever site i go too it will see me as a mobile user and not a laptop user.

Looks like it is a no no then.

Last edited:
Reactions: GpfMan
Upvote 0
Ok this will help you all. I am using samsung s7 edge and I am on three uk network on unlimited plan with max 30 gb per month tethering. Last month I used 150 gb and I am still using a lot of data on my laptop. How I am doing this ?

I have dowloaded a paid app its only 7 pounds and you only have to pay once. The app is called Easy Tether pro you have to dowload this on your phone and on your laptop or desktop which ever device you want to use . it will let u connect via USB or Via Bluetooth and 3 wont be able to see if you are using this data on other device then your mobile. In case you need more info ask me and I will help you.

Upvote 0
Just thought that i'd add my experiences as i'm considering my next move. I've been with 3 on AYCE data since 2015 and until feb this year i was tethering upto 85gb per month of sweet 4g data per month on my samsung galaxy alpha out of the box. This despite having a 4GB tethering limit.

In Feb some scrote stole my phone and i switched to a moto g4 and was immediately limited to the 4gb of tethering.

As i no longer have the phone i don't know if it was on 4.4.4 or 5.x but i'm thinking is this as simple as getting a phone running adroid 4.4.4 or less and simply never installing the three apps. I'm thinking of buying a 4g brick phone just to tether from as my hosemate used up or bt limit on torrents (tw4t)

Upvote 0
Just thought that i'd add my experiences as i'm considering my next move. I've been with 3 on AYCE data since 2015 and until feb this year i was tethering upto 85gb per month of sweet 4g data per month on my samsung galaxy alpha out of the box. This despite having a 4GB tethering limit.

In Feb some scrote stole my phone and i switched to a moto g4 and was immediately limited to the 4gb of tethering.

As i no longer have the phone i don't know if it was on 4.4.4 or 5.x but i'm thinking is this as simple as getting a phone running adroid 4.4.4 or less and simply never installing the three apps. I'm thinking of buying a 4g brick phone just to tether from as my hosemate used up or bt limit on torrents (tw4t)

You can apply the tethering detection fix to any phone. Including the moto g.

Upvote 0
Hi all. So like others, I'm wanting to bypass any blocks that might be in place. Long story short, I'm in a flat where I can't get wired internet so an unlimited data plan, plus tethering would be perfect for use on PC. This would be heavy usage, just like a wired broadband connection. I'd be quite happy to just pay for unlimited 4g tethering but I'm guessing no provider does that?

So I don't have to read through 15 pages worth of information that may/may not now work, would one of you helpful people be able to tell me if there's any confirmed ways to get around the restrictions? I obviously don't want to go ahead and buy a sim if tethering isn't going to work. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hi all. So like others, I'm wanting to bypass any blocks that might be in place. Long story short, I'm in a flat where I can't get wired internet so an unlimited data plan, plus tethering would be perfect for use on PC. This would be heavy usage, just like a wired broadband connection. I'd be quite happy to just pay for unlimited 4g tethering but I'm guessing no provider does that?

So I don't have to read through 15 pages worth of information that may/may not now work, would one of you helpful people be able to tell me if there's any confirmed ways to get around the restrictions? I obviously don't want to go ahead and buy a sim if tethering isn't going to work. Cheers!

I use PDAnet to bypass the tether block - i've had no problems. Also, Wifi Tether Router works just as good too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones