• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to "clone" an HTC Hero?

Hi all,

I just got my HTC Hero about a month ago. Well, this past week it was stolen. I filed the claim and got my new phone in the mail. As luck would have it, the same day the new phone arrived in the mail, the old phone was returned to me. A lady from down the street said she caught her kid with it, recognized my wife from my lock screen and brought it down.

To make a long story short, the insurance company says I cannot return the new phone to them, I must return the old one. It doesn't make much sense to me, but ok.

So, how can I go about cloning my old phone to make my new phone the exact same. I have both of them right here, is there a way to just back one up to the computer, plug in the other one and make it the same as my old phone?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Just to expand on Archon810's post...

The brickyness that you read about mainly comes from updating the radio. If you interrupt this process you are pretty much screwed and will have a smart looking paper weight.

It is not necessary to upgrade the radio in order to root or apply a custom ROM so just leave it well enough alone. You only need to update the recovery image and the ROM.

If the recovery image gets screwed you should still be able to access the ROM to re-apply it. If the ROM gets screwed you should still be able to access the recovery image to re-apply it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones