• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to disable/remove SmartFaceService

SofTA

Mar 30, 2012
Hello,
I just installed an app called AntiStalker that monitors when apps use my camera or microphone. Some time ago, I covered the front & back cameras with electrical tape after hearing there is active facial scanning as a routine, and of course there's not much one can do to prevent an app from accessing the microphone.

Anyway, no sooner did I activate AntiStalker than it picked up dozens of system apps that were accessing these features, but SmartFaceService is extremely persistent in doing its job. It appears to be something that's particularly associated with Samsung devices (tho I'd bet other companies install similar apps), and it does not appear on a list of safe apps to uninstall/disable, which I found here: https://www.droidviews.com/list-of-...ng-galaxy-devices-that-can-be-safely-removed/

I would like some advice on how to proceed with removing/disabling this app.

I'm sure that's a component used by the facial unlock.
Thank you both for your replies.
I understand this, and also that it's "supposed" to keep the screen awake while you're looking at it. But THAT feature has never worked on any Samsung phone I've had. IMO it's overkill to use this for waking the phone, as the gyro is sufficient. But I'm not going to root my phone to get rid of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones