• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to exit an application?

Second question - when I go out and then back into the internet browser it opens with the page I was looking at before. Is there any way to have it opening at the home page (that is faster than pressing Menu then tapping >More Home?

If that's the functionality you want from hitting "Internet" then replace the Internet shortcut on your home-screen with a shortcut to your homepage.

Upvote 0
There is no harm in using an ATK aslong as you use one properly.

If you use auto kill then make sure you set it to ignore all core apps, mesages, email etc. Otherwise it will keep killing them and you will end up using more battery by constantly restarting them.

Personally, I don't use auto kill, I only use the force close widget on my desktop. I set all core apps or apps I use alot to ignore.

The force close widget is great as it stops crappy apps from the market place from hogging the battery and data.

Upvote 0
It's up to the developer to handle what happens when an application pauses/resumes starts/stops.

When running an application on the foreground, and Android decides it needs to pause (e.g. a phone call comes), it sends a Pause event to the application. It's the developer's job to pause any animations when it receives that command for example. It wouldn't make sense for Android to kill an application everytime, e.g. when downloading a file, you don't want it to stop when a phone call comes.

I recommend reading the Android blog article Tunga posted earlier.

Upvote 0
Plenty of people say that there is no need for task killers with the desire which ends the apps itself. How do I therefore get the alarm clock to work - it seems that the phone turns this off when I switch the screen off (although I realise that powering down the entire phone prevents the alarm from working).

it doesn't, your phone will never kill the clock unless you kill it.

There is no harm in using an ATK aslong as you use one properly.
The force close widget is great as it stops crappy apps from the market place from hogging the battery and data.

There is, and my other advice is remove the crappy apps. If the developer cannot code properly then I personally wouldn't trust his app on my phone at all.

Upvote 0
personally... i say actual testrun results are better than theory..

i do agree that killing task with task killer tends to make some things go weird..
but not all.. so in other words you pretty much have to be careful as to which task you kill... hence, autokill not recommended..

why i feel that task killer is sometimes necessary is base on real time trial runs..
when i open apps here and there, or borrowed it to my friend to look around, they would surely open lots of apps and thus, plenty of apps in the background.

i'm not sure with you guys, if i dun task kill most of the programs that is opened in the background.. there is a noticeable lag especially when you try and flick through the All programs section.. it is not so bad as to make you want to throw the handphone across the room, but you do see and feel the noticeable lag..

going to task killer and killing only those apps that you are pretty sure won't mess anything else, the jump from lagness to smoothness is very apparent on my unit..

so basically my answer is, yes, sometimes task killer is necessary, but you do have to know what you can kill... and what you should not kill..

:)

Upvote 0
personally... i say actual testrun results are better than theory..

i do agree that killing task with task killer tends to make some things go weird..
but not all.. so in other words you pretty much have to be careful as to which task you kill... hence, autokill not recommended..

why i feel that task killer is sometimes necessary is base on real time trial runs..
when i open apps here and there, or borrowed it to my friend to look around, they would surely open lots of apps and thus, plenty of apps in the background.

i'm not sure with you guys, if i dun task kill most of the programs that is opened in the background.. there is a noticeable lag especially when you try and flick through the All programs section.. it is not so bad as to make you want to throw the handphone across the room, but you do see and feel the noticeable lag..

going to task killer and killing only those apps that you are pretty sure won't mess anything else, the jump from lagness to smoothness is very apparent on my unit..

so basically my answer is, yes, sometimes task killer is necessary, but you do have to know what you can kill... and what you should not kill..

This is 100% spot on

Upvote 0
I am too new proud owner of HTC desire,bought just 3 days ago and Got Frayo Update!
My problem is that Desire always displays message-Low on disk space and even if I try to kill application using Advance Task killer,this message keeps on recurring.
When I try to manage application with force stop,the application wont stop.many times when on low space my memory is around 110 MB.what should I do,as its irritating to see same Low disk space again and again. Another thing is that Though Frayo allow you to move application to SD card (there by solving low on space error) some applicaions wont move! So isn't there any option like old symbian to close a running application?

Upvote 0
I am too new proud owner of HTC desire,bought just 3 days ago and Got Frayo Update!
My problem is that Desire always displays message-Low on disk space and even if I try to kill application using Advance Task killer,this message keeps on recurring.
When I try to manage application with force stop,the application wont stop.many times when on low space my memory is around 110 MB.what should I do,as its irritating to see same Low disk space again and again. Another thing is that Though Frayo allow you to move application to SD card (there by solving low on space error) some applicaions wont move! So isn't there any option like old symbian to close a running application?

Low disk storage = Low disk 'STORAGE', this is not memory that your apps use when 'running' - they do that in RAM memory. Closing tasks doesn't do anything to give you more storage, better to spend time trying apps and find those you like and uninstall the rest.

Storage and memory (RAM) are totally different on Android.

Welcome to the Forums! have a look around and you will find several threads discussing all the points you mention (they've been discussed to destruction many, many MANY times over!)

Upvote 0
The android system was designed to manage its own memory. Within android there is no such thing as "closing" an app.

Basically the OS manages its memory, and manages the apps running or idling in the background itself, closing those not required if/when memory is required. The apps also run in the background using little or no system resources.

Your question is common amongst newbies to android, thinking that google missed out on something fundamental. They didn't. To quote myself from another similar thread, this isn't Windows, it doesn't act like Windows and you shouldn't treat it like Windows :p

Finally, you do not need a task killer with the HTC Desire, it is likely to cause you more problems than any benefits it may provide.
I've seen this answer several times over the lack of an exit button and after nearly 2 years of using an Android phone I think apps really do need an exit button. Android is only as good as it's worst software and even some of the most common apps are poorly written. I don't really care how good the memory management is if a rogue app drains my battery in a couple of hours. If there was an exit button this wouldn't be an issue. Maybe the newer versions of Android will help stop apps killing the battery, but an exit button would still be a good fallback.

Upvote 0
I've seen this answer several times over the lack of an exit button and after nearly 2 years of using an Android phone I think apps really do need an exit button. Android is only as good as it's worst software and even some of the most common apps are poorly written. I don't really care how good the memory management is if a rogue app drains my battery in a couple of hours. If there was an exit button this wouldn't be an issue. Maybe the newer versions of Android will help stop apps killing the battery, but an exit button would still be a good fallback.

if its a rogue app, don't install it is the answer.. get an app developed by someone who knows what they are doing.

If an app is coded badly, its unlikely that dev cares enough to add an exit button.

Upvote 0
if its a rogue app, don't install it is the answer.. get an app developed by someone who knows what they are doing.

If an app is coded badly, its unlikely that dev cares enough to add an exit button.
When the rogue apps are the official facebook app or even apps made by googlers, that isn't really an option. You can't expect every app to be perfect so Android can handle everything the way it is supposed to. Sometimes the app might be fine and it is the system that is not working properly. There should always be a simple fall back. I had the mytracks app drain my battery from full to almost nothing within 6 hours. It ran in the background when I had stopped using it and Android did not do what it was supposed to. Uninstalling the app didn't recharge my battery when I was in work, it just left me with a dead phone. If I had the ability to exit the app, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Unless there is a very restrictive vetting process (Iphone style), Android should have forced an exit button to be included in all apps as a backup option. It's an unfortunate necessity if you run an open system.

Of course, the new versions of Android might work better and then I wouldn't be too bothered, but I still think it would be a good idea to have a simple exit button.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones