• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to fix a bricked LG Optimus V with S firmware

My Optimus V will not boot into recovery, it only gives a black screen. Screencaster doesnt work so it's not a matter of not seeing the recovery. I cannot access adb. When I turn my phone on it goes to the lg splash and that's it. When I try E-mode, it goes to the black screen. Can I still use this method of putting Optimus S firmware onto it? And does it work?

Upvote 0
WOW! I just got the optimus s firmware on my bricked phone!!! wooot!!! Now please help me in understanding some things: MSL: this is a code that will help later when setting up LGNTPS? And LGNTPS makes it so I can have 3G? A couple other questions. Does this have a recovery then? Am I safe in trying to reboot into recovery without rooting and installing a recovery yet? The reason I ask is that in step 2 it says to open a com port i have to reboot into recovery mode. This is before step 3 where we root and get custom recovery. I'm so happy I made it this far. Thank you so much :) Please continue to help me through this.

Upvote 0
WOW! I just got the optimus s firmware on my bricked phone!!! wooot!!! Now please help me in understanding some things: MSL: this is a code that will help later when setting up LGNTPS? And LGNTPS makes it so I can have 3G? A couple other questions. Does this have a recovery then? Am I safe in trying to reboot into recovery without rooting and installing a recovery yet? The reason I ask is that in step 2 it says to open a com port i have to reboot into recovery mode. This is before step 3 where we root and get custom recovery. I'm so happy I made it this far. Thank you so much :) Please continue to help me through this.

The S firmware includes the s recovery, It would be fine to reboot into recovery.

Upvote 0
Jimmy422 are you still not able to flash the S firmware? After pulling the batter it goes right back into e-mode without you pressing the buttons?
After pulling the battery it does go right back into E-mode, but when it goes back it no longer says "emergency mode" at the bottom.

I don't know why it's not working. I've done it over 20 times. Tried it with an SD card and without it. Tried a different sprint firmware at one point, and the screen no longer worked in E-Mode. Flashed the one in this guide again and the screen worked afterwards - which tells me that it's successfully flashing. I just don't get why it's not booting.

Upvote 0
After pulling the battery it does go right back into E-mode, but when it goes back it no longer says "emergency mode" at the bottom.

I don't know why it's not working. I've done it over 20 times. Tried it with an SD card and without it. Tried a different sprint firmware at one point, and the screen no longer worked in E-Mode. Flashed the one in this guide again and the screen worked afterwards - which tells me that it's successfully flashing. I just don't get why it's not booting.

Is it recognizing your phone when in e-mode? Try backing up the files on your sdcard, then pull the sdcard and put it back in multiple times untill the computer finaly sees the phone.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
So I seem to be stuck in stock rom of vm. when I reboot into recovery it only does the stock recovery. I don't think I have root anymore. How do I get out of stock rom/recovery? If it's a matter of rooting, I've tried Gingerbreak and that didn't work, so I don't know where to go from now.
Go to the market and download a terminal emulator. Type in: su then hit the enter key. If you get a # after then you are rooted. If you still get a $ then your not rooted.
If you are rooted then download the recovery that is recommended for your firmware version. Making sure that is compatible with your screen drivers as well.Rename it recovery.img. Then go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770 Then download the flash_image in the above tutorial. Make sure it has a .bin on the end. Put them both on the root of the sd card. Then follow step 6a.
This will get you a custom recovery installed on your phone.

Reactions: Phatninja55
Upvote 0
So I seem to be stuck in stock rom of vm. when I reboot into recovery it only does the stock recovery. I don't think I have root anymore. How do I get out of stock rom/recovery? If it's a matter of rooting, I've tried Gingerbreak and that didn't work, so I don't know where to go from now.

After you have flashed the firmware update from vm, you need to use gordita exploit because gingerbreark doesn't work with the new update.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
I'm racking my brain trying to find it, but EManU3LXX put together the gordita root into a one click root. Maybe you could try that. When you do let me know how it goes. I'm considering putting it in the All Things Root Guide. I just can't find it now. Brain is fried, trying to do too much with it at almost 50.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones