• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get around Niantic's shenanigans?

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Okay, simple thing here.

So obviously 0.41 is out, but Niantic wants to be stupid and block rooted or jailbroken units from being able to launch Pokemon Go at all.

I myself have my Moto X Pure running TruPure X 2.9; I also have my Note 3 on Lollipop (5.0).

So far, nothing I'd been able to try has worked on my MXP. rootcloak won't do jack and uninstalling/reinstalling, or downloading 0.37, rebooting and reinstalling won't work either. It'll launch, but it seems to actively refuse to let me log in, giving incessant "could not authenticate" errors even when using my correct login and password, while an intentionally incorrect password will give an error saying as such. But at least on the MXP I could still have Xposed at my disposal.

On the Note 3 on the other hand, it just flat out refuses to launch, giving an error. And unlike the MXP, the author of Xposed apparently can't be arsed to make it work on any Samsung phones with anything newer than 4.4, and nobody wants to make a deodexed rom for it, no matter how many times I've tried asking. So I'm rightly pissed off about this. So, naturally, my fiancee is not happy about the situation (she uses the Note 3), while I am aggravated Niantic would be this stupid in the first place about it.

So, what are my options here? Because I for damn sure am not going to go buying any new phones for a good while, and I definitely won't put up with any phone(s) I can't root/jailbreak.

A game of cat and mouse I think. You'll probably have to wait until when(or if) the hackers can get ahead of Niantic again.

BTW are many still playing Pokémon Go, or are they all back at school now? Like this summer craze is over?
This made me lol. :D

See, over here, it is way too freaking hot in the summer to actually be out there and running around and stuff. Now that it's finally cooling off, it's bearable to be outdoors again. :cool:

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Huh. Didn't even know this was a thing. I would have thought RootCloak w/ Xposed running would have been enough, but it certainly seems not.

Wish app developers would understand this kind of crap turns off power users. I was all set to buy the remastered FF V on Google Play until I heard about how Square Enix basically made it impossible to run on a rooted phone. And I have too much of a pathological hatred for cancerous ads to allow any of that to run on my daily phone.

So, just so I understand it, I can just copy the APK to my affected Android phones and install, and hopefully get the game working again, correct?

Upvote 0
It's a little more involved than just installing the app, but once it is actually installed there are instructions on what to do next.

I was going to give it a go to test Android Pay, but it asks you to fully unroot with SuperSu first, then reroot using the Magisk app (that's how I interpreted it anyway) so I just uninstalled. I wasn't that desperate to test Android Pay and I wasn't sure if the unrooting would play nicely with the ROM I was using or the Xposed modules I have setup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones