• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get rid the yellow device manager warning when try to use the screen off app

IMG_20180501_165726.jpg

Upvote 0
Flashing yellow 'Device Manager is on' warning? Well I've never seen that on an Oppo phone before. Something new that Oppo has added with a firmware update possibly? Something that got enabled in Developer Settings? Other than that, no other ideas what it could be. What 'screen off' app of which you speak?Again I've never seen that on an Oppo before.

Upvote 0
Apparently this "device manager" is something that's been added by Google recently. Which could have been that update your F5 received.
https://www.themobileindian.com/how...-device-manager-on-android-smartphones-8957/3
How this is implemented in Oppo's Color OS flavour of Android, I don't know.

I've got an Oppo R9 here that I keep as a spare, and there's nothing like this on my phone. Also I've got a brand new Huawei Mate 10, and that doesn't have it either. And that's all I know about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Same issue here. I'm unable to use any email client for my work email due to this warning. This needs to be fixed :(

Yours is an Oppo phone as well I assume?

Looking at the article I posted previously....
https://www.themobileindian.com/how...id-device-manager-on-android-smartphones-8957
Google recently announced a new service - Android Device Manager,

And with Color OS that Oppo devices use, it's showing the yellow "Device Manager is on" warning. I'm pretty sure this is an issue that Oppo needs to fix with Color OS, possibly with an OTA update. Color OS is a heavily modified and customized version of Android, that's mainly used in and was originally intended for China, where there is no Google services basically. That's likely why I haven't seen it on an Oppo, and my new Huawei Mate 10 doesn't have this Android Device Manager either. I think this type of warning is specific to Oppo's Color OS, because if you root it, it will show a red "THIS DEVICE IS ROOTED" warning in the notification area.

I suspect this problem may also affect non-Chinese variant Vivo phones that use Funtouch OS, which is extremely similar to Color OS. Both Oppo and Vivo are really the same company, BBK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Yours is an Oppo phone as well I assume?

Looking at the article I posted previously....
https://www.themobileindian.com/how...id-device-manager-on-android-smartphones-8957
Google recently announced a new service - Android Device Manager,

And with Color OS that Oppo devices use, it's showing the yellow "Device Manager is on" warning. I'm pretty sure this is an issue that Oppo needs to fix with Color OS, possibly with an OTA update. Color OS is a heavily modified and customized version of Android, that's mainly used in and was originally intended for China, where there is no Google services basically. That's likely why I haven't seen it on an Oppo, and my new Huawei Mate 10 doesn't have this Android Device Manager either. I think this type of warning is specific to Oppo's Color OS, because if you root it, it will show a red "THIS DEVICE IS ROOTED" warning in the notification area.

I suspect this problem may also affect non-Chinese variant Vivo phones that use Funtouch OS, which is extremely similar to Color OS. Both Oppo and Vivo are really the same company, BBK.
Yes, mine is an. OPPO F5 too but a non China version. Seems they didn't think through the implications while adding this feature.

Hope Oppo becomes aware of this problem sooner and launch the needed update.

Upvote 0
I get pretty much the same thing.

Trying to change anything on the screen lock is a pain. OnePlus5. I can turn the damn screen lock off, and then I promptly get love notes from Google about security which I consider none of Google's business. I don't allow Google's track my phone app and phone management utlitlies anyway. The apps for that are disabled, and NOVA Launcher prime is the phone's manager. I use the phone as a reference library, phone calls and texts. I don't need social apps, location, maps or any other apps in those categories. There is nothing personal installed on the phone.I don't need any security lectures.

The Vulcan pushes too hard when he tries to swipe, and since an illness, most of the fat layer or whatever padding under my fingers is gone and swipe doesn't always work.. He's allowed by me and normal family type usage to use the phone.

I will not do face, voice or fingerprint ID just in case the Vulcan does need my phone.
I want an app that will allow a sideways swipe or maybe 3 taps instead of a swipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
FWIW Oppo phones also do a similar yellow notification bar warning when Developer Mode is enabled. That other phones don't do.

Good luck in getting these things fixed, as Oppo don't really seem to be interested in much outside of China these days. They shut their international community support forum a while back now, and closed Oppo Style their international official retail site.

And talking of China phones, I wouldn't recommend buying a ZTE either now, because they may not have much of a future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW Oppo phones also do a similar yellow notification bar warning when Developer Mode is enabled. That other phones don't do.

Good luck in getting these things fixed, as Oppo don't really seem to be interested in much outside of China these days. They shut their international community support forum a while back now, and closed Oppo Style their international official retail site.

And talking of China phones, I wouldn't recommend buying a ZTE either now, because they may not have much of a future.

It's a refurb and far, far cheaper than buying a new car to satisfy "hands free"
He simply will not use a non-flip. Think he's worried about butt-dialing and scratching the screen as he just shoves the phone in a front pocket. The other complaint is the keys are too small to type on.

If it works, and he likes it, I will simply have to find a decent android flip - more like a feature phone than a top of the line.

Upvote 0
I have oppo Realme 2 pro.
I have been trying to make sleep as android app to work. But its alarm feature doesn't work when device is locked. For this to work it needs a permission from device manager. When I activate the feature, yellow warning shows up on the status bar (take a look at the screenshot) and once I click it the feature that I want gets turned off.
I want to this app to work.
Screenshot_2018 device manager oppo.png

This is ridiculous.
Guys please anybody knows any workaround for this problem please let me know. Thanks.

Reactions: dallascheong
Upvote 0
Having the same problem and it's driving me insane; Now i can't use my 3rd party screen lock app or apps like find my droid without a constant yellow bar flashing at the top of the screen... I have contacted oppo Australia and made them aware of this issue, they were very helpful, took notes and said they would forward the issue to the development department. They said that currently there is no way around it and that it is a Google security issue ...Hopefully this ridiculous feature is removed soon with an update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm having this problem with my child's Oppo AX7. The device manager warning is blocking the use of parental control software I have installed to limit my child's access to inappropriate web content. I've contacted Oppo and explained the issue and their very unhelpful response was "we recommend you don't use that app". This makes the phone inappropriate to my needs as I bought the phone for a child, but I don't like my chances of getting a refund from the supplier.

Not sure what to do from here, as I'm anticipating a high chance any other similar software would result in the same issue.
Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem with my child's Oppo AX7. The device manager warning is blocking the use of parental control software I have installed to limit my child's access to inappropriate web content. I've contacted Oppo and explained the issue and their very unhelpful response was "we recommend you don't use that app". This makes the phone inappropriate to my needs as I bought the phone for a child, but I don't like my chances of getting a refund from the supplier.

Not sure what to do from here, as I'm anticipating a high chance any other similar software would result in the same issue.
Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.

As already discussed in this thread, it's something Oppo have done with their Chinese flavour of Android, Color OS. Suggest you try for a refund, and do NOT get another Oppo or Vivo. Maybe get your child a Samsung instead?

Upvote 0
I think this type of warning is specific to Oppo's Color OS, because if you root it, it will show a red "THIS DEVICE IS ROOTED" warning in the notification area.

sorry to hijack but after googling this is the only page i can find that even mentions this, ive got this on my rooted phone and it annoys the shit out of me, got an app that lets me disable all my notifications including annoying system ones but after cycling through the list and trying everything, i cant find a way to remove the icon. it didn't happen the last time i had my phone rooted (same phone), and it won't tell me what app launches when i tap on it so i can't just see the name of it to know what to disable. any suggestion?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones