• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Install 2.1 and Root (for dummy's)

Interesting issue. Following directions to the T..... I have run into an issue. All indicators show a successfully installed 2.1 dd03, and then dd10. The Issue starts when I launch the market place app..... it brings up no apps! Android 2.1 dd10 (any of the releases on SDX) isn't very useful without a functioning marketplace. Anyone else run into this? http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/76641-marketplace-gone.html

Yup, Protected apps do not show because the Market is smart enough to know that the Moment should not have 2.1 yet!

Here is the fix:
How to access Protected Apps in the Market...

EDIT: You need Root to do this.

Reactions: SporkLover
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for this easy to understand how to. Can anyone tell me if the 2.1 happens to have any type of notification led for the samsung moment? It sucks missing text messages and calls if my screen is off. TIA
Deb

There is no LED on the Moment that I know of, the version of the OS would have no effect on the missing physical hardware... unless I misunderstand you. My phone blinks, rings, and vibrates, not sure what else could be done to get my attention for calls and texts, lol

Upvote 0
Thanks, on mine which has the official CL14 update, if the screen is off and I get a text and I do not happen to be near the phone at the time, the only way I know I missed a text or call is to turn the screen on and look. Maybe my phone is weird? Anyway I found an awesome app that does in fact blink the screen at intervals and play a ringtone. It is called missed reminder in the event anyone else is having this problem. This app is a lifesaver (grin)

Upvote 0
i just saw in one of the sites that theres an DD16 update should i replace my DD10 with that update or theres not big difference

I think DD16 is a little buggy at the moment. Hell, I've been happier than hell with DD03 that I haven't even updated to DD10 yet nor have a rooted. I'm staying where I'm at for now. I also have no idea why, but when I flashed to 2.1, I didn't have a single problem with the market place that everyone seems to be having.

I'd give DD16 a little more time before making that jump. Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0
I rooted to 2.1 DD10 last night because of this great and easy walk through. The only problem I had is when pressing down VOL DOWN + CAMERA + END while the USB cable was plugged in only booted the Moment like normal. Once I unplugged the cable was I able to flash the phone. Otherwise great walk through!!

you cant have the usb cable plug in when you pressing them down vol + camera + end i did the same thing at first

Upvote 0
ok so I seem to got it going but not sure if SWupdate is stuck. in the progress bar it says - elapsed time: 2 sec... 0% - for like 10 mins

yup it was stuck, restarted and it flashed I'm on 2.1!!! finally!

time to go play.

Okay sort of a dumb question sorry, when you say restarted it what steps exactly. I just want to be prepared in the event it gets stuck on me TIA.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know where I can get the USB drivers for the Moment?

I'm trying to do the update now using Sprint's directions, but when using the SW Upgrade thing, I get hung up on the "Plug the USB cable into the phone and PC" step, because when searching for drivers, it can't find the one for the phone.

I'm running Win7, if that matters.

All the links I find no longer work.

Upvote 0
Crap ! Everything went perfect I followed the tutorial and everything is great on the phone, except, people can't hear me when I call them! I mean they hear me just breaking up and can not make out what I am saying. Anyone have any idea why this might be? I don't wanna go back to 1.5 ( whines ) darn it all. If anyone has heard of this and can help that would be awesome. Thanks so much

Upvote 0
I do all the steps and it works flawlessly then when i try to flash 2.1.3 i put it in the binary, all by itself.. when i get to the screen that says start download or whatever it says "cannot open bin" what am i doing wrong?!?!?!
Best guess is that you are using the new installer. The new one only allows for that file to be flashed. You will need to get the old installer which doesnt check the file name being flashd in order to apply it.

Reactions: edmurfman
Upvote 0
Does anyone know where I can get the USB drivers for the Moment?

I'm trying to do the update now using Sprint's directions, but when using the SW Upgrade thing, I get hung up on the "Plug the USB cable into the phone and PC" step, because when searching for drivers, it can't find the one for the phone.

I'm running Win7, if that matters.

All the links I find no longer work.

The USB drivers shoud be in your Samsung folders as an executable, since Im not at home, I cant give you the exact name of the file, but its in there.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones