• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to kill all apps at once?

Don't do it.

Android manages apps perfectly well on its own and since it based on Linux (I believe this to be correct) it doesn't need loads of free RAM to improve performance.

On the negative side, stopping running apps using a task manager can have the unwanted effect of breaking services which are still running causing errors to occur.

My advise is to leave them be unless you have a none responsive app in which case you can force stop it from the Apps menu.

p.s. don't confuse this with swiping apps away from the multi tasking menu.

Upvote 0
Unles they took this out of the 4.4 OS long press the home key and when the running apps list comes up tap the hamburger icon with an x on it (probably on the right). Let me know if this still works please.

Android has had a seperate running apps list for some time. The right hand soft button which looks like 2 cards stacked. No hamburger icon though and removing apps from here is not the same as Force Closing them with a Task Killer.

Upvote 0
Unles they took this out of the 4.4 OS long press the home key and when the running apps list comes up tap the hamburger icon with an x on it (probably on the right). Let me know if this still works please.

Does not work when pressing and holding the Home button like the last version of android.

I have to manually swipe them.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Don't do it.

Android manages apps perfectly well on its own and since it based on Linux (I believe this to be correct) it doesn't need loads of free RAM to improve performance.

On the negative side, stopping running apps using a task manager can have the unwanted effect of breaking services which are still running causing errors to occur.

My advise is to leave them be unless you have a none responsive app in which case you can force stop it from the Apps menu.

p.s. don't confuse this with swiping apps away from the multi tasking menu.

I am referring to the swipe option to close programs, i am under the impression that leaving apps open uses more battery, this is why i tend to kill them when not using the phone. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones