• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW TO: Live Wallpaper without Rooting

If you guys are flashing the stock update with 3.0.8 recovery aren't you rooting?

That's all I did to gain root access...

It also sounds like some of the files in the OP are either cross linked or linked wrong. Newbies need to exercise caution now.

I'm pretty sure this is actually rooting the phone,
but whether I am wrong or not, it was simpler
to follow than what was provided at SDX.

However, with the links not working, I think
I'm going to just be happy with the 2.1 update
until I get the Evo or until OP replaces dead links.

Upvote 0
the Recovery File on the Link is nothing but the Stock sprint file. Can some one please post the correct Recovery file that needs to be replaced in the SWUpgrade\Models\Binary portion of this? I've followed this procedure to a T and i get the same ..

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update Package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

...over and over again

Upvote 0
Here is a link to the correct stock sprint file with recovery. You may have to register on SDX to get it.

Login

Also, make sure you're either using the old version of the Sprint updater or have hacked or patched or whatever it is to the new version to allow a custom rom flash. The current tool from Sprints website won't flash anything but th stock 2.1.

There are links around for it. It should also be available on SDX's website.

Upvote 0
Your data will still be there, it won't be erased. I did this months ago, but find myself rarely using it, it's a quick way to kill a battery, but eh, I can say I have live wallpapers!

You're data will be safe, unless your Micro SDHC card decides to up and die like mine did the other day... can't format it, can't recover nothing on it. Thankfully everything on it is on my computer, but it just kinda sucked that the 16GB card died without warning... but thank you San Disk for your 5 year warranty on those cards.

Upvote 0
Update the links please. Found alternate, but after all the trouble, all I did is ending up reverting back to the old 1.5 firmware. LOVELY! So now I have to once again update to the 2.1, and then configure my email, sync, and re-download my apps. All for live wallpaper that Samsung should have included with the update in the first place. Not worth the trouble. Like the 2.1 update, but just not having to apply it twice. PITA. Don't do it.

Update - Some progress, just in not the right direction. File supposed to delete or rename "SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1.tar" was actually "SPH-M900_CL14_MR". Once made correct change, then flashed to updated 2.1 software, but wallpaper zip update did not take. Stating not verified or signed, meaning that the origional links do not point to the intended files when post origionally started. Just re-flashed phone to same #$%%#$ software as before - 2.1 - stock Samsung update that does not allow hacks such as this one. Either find new forum with updated links or do not try this until links are verified. WASTE OF TIME. Noob or not, if I cannot rely on forum links or "experts" to update, what is the point?

Upvote 0
I'm copying this from another post because I don't want it to get buried. This is for everyone out there having trouble getting Live Wallpapers to work on their Moment.

I give FULL credit to the other posters.

------------------------------------------------------------

*6/30 EDIT! - The new links are now working properly! Go crazy!

-This post is assuming you already have the 2.1 update-

Files Used:

CCLeaner
OLD CL14 SAMSUNG INSTALLER
I hope this helps. :)

I'm so hosed. I thought I had the "OLD CL14 INSTALLER", so I went ahead, since the link provided gives a 404. Can you provide a link to the proper "OLD CL14 INSTALLER"? Currently my phone is back to factory defaults! I thought this process was supposed to preserve my config. :-( I now just read the previous post - I wish I would have read it before going through this - looks like I'm in the same (sad) boat as 0cocheese0.

Upvote 0
could any one put thees files back up again plz or even email me the links grate little phone just think its sad that we have to do this ourselfs . my daughters silly o2 phone has moving wall papers lol feel :mad: . i wana root it to. sound like a plan for the battery life and the memory also for the fact the adverts annoy me in angry birds feels like am playing a demo or something alos since im gona root this is ther away too do all this above in in 1 go a walk thru would be very helpful fell free to email me djkaneo@gmail.com thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones