• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to manually update to KITKAT on the Boost Max and keep root and custom recovery

Here is another mirror for the partition updater
stormer_stock_B06_partitions_2.zip

Alright so i flashed both files successfully with philz 6 no errors in doing so. However when i try to go into settings=>Security I do get the error : "Unfortunately settings has stopped." I got the same error when I installed the first file alone without the partition script. So it may not have anything to do with the partitioning.
What do I do since security settings force closes. If I try to clear any app data the phone automatically updates. Yes I did flash the partition updater.SuperR ? Theminor19?

I think it may be possible that there are different versions of this ROM or the partition update. I get the same problem now that I have actually been able to partition my phone according to this article. I got no errors flashing either file but I cannot open security settings or clear the app data without errors/problems either. I went ahead and put my phone back to stock recovery and ROM that it came with for now and I am waiting for the OTA update. I tried to force the update but that is a no go. called ZTE and the man who answered had no enlightenment whatsoever about why I cannot get the OTA update to 4.4.2 He basically told me the updates were being sent out in different batches based on the DEC number of the phones. When I asked him what the schedule was he said there was not one. He said that eventually an update option would appear and that there is no ETA. So I guess I will just take his word for it and wait a couple days on stock I will let everyone know what happens if anything. So it is quite possible ZTE is using this update to do some sort of software testing and that certain DEC numbered phones are not able to be updated just yet. If SuperR can get your log file you can create one in philz copy it and send it to him, he may be able to tell you more and he also may be able to tell me that I am full of crap or being naive believing the ZTE tech support department. However I do not know if anyone is an expert on this issue at this time. Anyways for now I will wait for my phone to magically be allowed to have an update.

Upvote 0
So nobody is able to run the modified 4.4.2 KitKat without having settings issues and have to go to just go back to 4.1.2 or run a stock kitkat. Hopefully superr or somebody can chime in.

Why do we have to backup before flashing a new rom if nothing we had on the phone before the flashed update even appear. I backed up 2000mb file to my external SD card and a 500 mb titanium backup I also can't use. Maybe im doing stuff wrong but i don't wanna waste 2.5 GB of in useable backups on my external SD. Or is there some option in philz recovery to use after the update

Upvote 0
@Oresu You can flash the OTA update package if you are running full stock with stock recovery.

Ok awesome I finally have a fully working 4.4.2 now i have a question. With the Deodexed ROM that you created if I flash it and already have 4.4.2 working am I going to have the issues with it crashing checking security or was that only if you didn't already have 4.4.2 in the first place?

Upvote 0
Ok awesome I finally have a fully working 4.4.2 now i have a question. With the Deodexed ROM that you created if I flash it and already have 4.4.2 working am I going to have the issues with it crashing checking security or was that only if you didn't already have 4.4.2 in the first place?
It is only if you don't already have 4.4.2 working. Since you do, several people around here including myself would really appreciate if you would flash the partition grabber and upload your working partitions so we can solve the force close problem for everyone else. Here is the file, just flash it, zip the directory named max_partitions on your internal sdcard, and upload it. Thanks :)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95897840722645518

Upvote 0
Alright so when I flash the partition grabber it is not creating any new files on my sd card, internal or external. I do not know if this is because I have rooted my phone and installed philz already or if it is just not working. I would be happy to help let me know what you think.
It should be writing to wherever /sdcard is mounted on your device. I don't own one of these, but most Android devices map /sdcard somewhere. It could be in /data/media so have a check there to see if the max_partitions directory is there. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Ok well I could not locate the file in any visible directory that I have I will try and get a root explorer app to see if it is in a hidden place. I am getting an error about running out of space to install apps now that I have tried it a few times so this is likely the case.
ES File Explorer is my favorite. If you use it, make sure you enable R/W support from the Tools >> Root Explorer >> Mount R/W menu

Upvote 0
I finally got root and philz installed. Flashed the deodexed and debloated 4.4.2. No security settings issues for me. I flashed your partition grabber but i can't seem to find the file it created. It definitely didn't put it on either sd card. I'm gonna try it a few more times to see if i can get it uploaded for you.
Ok, not sure why sdcard is not mapped, but please try this one. It should put the directory on your external sdcard. Thanks
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95897840722646743

Upvote 0
My Internal memory has way too much space taken up i can hardly install 1 app without it being filled is there anything i can do to clear my internal memory. I know this is likely an unrelated question but it did arise out of trying to get upgraded. Any ideas you can offer would be awesome. I cannot try the grabber again until after work but i will asap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones