• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to recover moved photo?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
I attached my Samsung phone using USB cable to my PC, I cut and paste the photo from my Samsung phone folder to my PC. I have edited the photo from my PC and messed up, so I want to have the original photo again.

How to recover the photo in my Android phone?

Thanks.

I understand, my intention is to only have 1 copy of the photo in my PC. Because I edited the photo and the photo is messed up so I wanted to restart with the original photo again.

Is there any difference if I

1. copy (from phone) and paste (in pc) then delete the original from the phone.

2. cut (from phone) and paste (in pc).

Upvote 0
"Cut" isn't a filesystem operation, so I assume that your file manager interprets "cut and paste" as "move". In which case there is only one difference between "move" and "copy then delete" and that is that if something goes wrong with a copy you still have the original until you delete it, while if something goes wrong with a move that's game over. But if you do both without checking the copy there is no difference.

As for file recovery, it's not generally very successful on Android (and of course if the phone has been used normally in the meanwhile there is a risk the file has been overwritten anyway). The one thing you have going for you is that this one won't be in an area that needs root to access it (which would be the case for deleted messages) and you've not reset the phone (in which case encryption keys are gone as well). So it's possible that an Android file recovery app might be able to recover it (standard file recovery software over USB won't work because the USB connection is MTP rather than USB mass storage). Look in the Play Store for something that doesn't require root and give it a go - there's a chance it will work, and as long as the app itself isn't adware not much to lose.

Of course if the file was stored on a microSD card then it's simple: remove the card from the phone, stick it in a card reader (they are cheap) and run whatever file recovery software you like.

Reactions: spman and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Is there anything that I should do before running a recovery software? I mean I read that it is better to stop using the phone or phone camera now just to prevent new data from overwriting the deleted space.
Assuming recovery software B will work to recovery successfully, and recovery software A will not recover successfully.
Lets say I tried recovery software A first and unable to do a recovery, would it further mess up the files and hinder recovery software B recovery?
I mean I may not recover what I want when using the first recovery software I try and I am scared that it will worsen the condition for the next recovery software that should recovery successfully but next recovery software failed to recovery because it was not the first software I used, condition might be deteriorated by previous software tried.

Upvote 0
Any use of the phone could potentially overwrite the deleted image. If you are unlucky installing or running one app could overwrite what you are trying to recover, but so could virtually anything else you do with it. It may be gone already, it may be that none of those apps is useful. There are no guarantees. Nothing you do will lessen the risk (though using the phone can increase it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones