• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to remove words from dictionary

KouDy

Apr 16, 2012
Would anyone know how to remove misspells from dictionary? I went to settings -> language & input -> user dictionary , but it tells me there are no words. I think they were added automatically when i incorrectly fill some field (like with login name for forums) and submit it. Deleting history didn't help either...

Something does not add up here. I have had a damn good look into this using the onscreen keyboard and the docked keyboard.

I am using the standard keyboard settings and can add a new word to the dictionary and it will appear in the user dictionary where I can delete it. It would seem maybe you have a different keyboard configured?

Which keyboard do you have running? I can use the Asus UK Keyboard or the English UK keyboard layout (as in the attached picture) and can add/remove words to the user dictionary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-22-19-26-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-22-19-26-48.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 0
I have it in settings like following :

Just thinking here... What is dictionary? By dictionary i mean those words that when you are typing, the pad is trying to predict them in line right above the keyboard. I would like to remove words from there...

Oh ok, I think I know what you are talking about now. This has nothing to do with the user dictionary, it is all to do with how the system is trying to auto correct the words you are typing. These you cannot edit.. But you can play around with some settings to turn some bits on/off to see if it improves your experience.

Go back into the Language/Input settings and then click the settings on the Asus Keyboard settings. (Check pic)

Now check the Next word prediction is not turned on, if it is turn it off and see if it helps. Next try tweaking the Auto Correction settings, mine is turned off. If that still does not help try tweaking the Word Reselection options.

Hope this helps KouDy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-23-20-21-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-23-20-21-26.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
Ok tried all of those but still getting predictions i would like to delete. I think i got it there on some website when logging in because it's mail and password together...

Mmm, ok. Using just the tablet undocked, start typing and type one of the words you are looking to delete but add some random characters to the end so the spell check kicks in. Click on the word to correct it, but choose Add to Dictionary which should take you to your dictionary. In there can you see the words you want to remove?

The only other thing I can think of is to clear your cache/saved passwords in your browser and see if that removes the unwanted words.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones