• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root 2.1 OTA?

Upvote 0
xNJxPlague

xNJxPlague said:
Is it the same way as to root 1.5 in the sticky above?

Or are some things different?

The identical procedure will work.

Yes you can. Follow the link below. Good for a visual of what to do.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/75384-visual-example-pb00img-zip-update-method.html

Oh...just so you know. Root has nothing to do with whether you have 1.5 or 2.1 OTA loaded. As long as your bootloader is 1.47, you simply follow the steps in one of the guides and you will be rooted in no time.

Just to be clear, the link that alprazolam provides you (above) only has pictures for Part I of the rooting process. You still need to perform parts II and III - getting Amon_RA's recovery installed (part II), and then loading a dev ROM onto the phone by using the Amon_RA recovery boot menu (Part III).

If you have fastboot installed on your PC, and you know how to get your phone into fastboot mode (remove SD card, Vol-Down+End/Power then press Send in menu), you can replace all the adb steps in Part II with a single command:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2.img

The ROM suggested (Part III) by the "Sticky" post is a little bit dated at this point, and you are free to choose any other ROM - If you want to start with a stable, bug-free ROM to start with that is a little more current, then try either Ivanmmj's Official 1.0 or Jcase's Plain Jane.

Good luck.

eu1

Reactions: alprazolam
Upvote 0
I've been on the Eris section for 3 days and really there isn't a comprehensive set of instructions for rooting 2.1 OTA. The main set of instructions all of a sudden start referencing Amom Recovery. I wish someone would create an updated rooting guide for 2.1 OTA users.

(This coming from a Droid user running my own custom ROM and Theme I built.)

Upvote 0
I've been on the Eris section for 3 days and really there isn't a comprehensive set of instructions for rooting 2.1 OTA. The main set of instructions all of a sudden start referencing Amom Recovery. I wish someone would create an updated rooting guide for 2.1 OTA users.

There does not need to be separate instructions. If you have 2.1 that you installed from an OTA update, you use the exact same process and steps as if you were running 1.5. The process is exactly the same.

Upvote 0
That link works for me.
And as stated above the instructions are good for 2.1 OTA or 1.5 IF the bootloader is 1.47.

Just follow the instructions or use the Eris Master Application [R00T] and it will do it all for you.

FYI, Eris Master Application has been temporarily pulled until they (Eclips3 and Jamezelle) fix a "major bug in the app"... :( Monitor their thread over at xda for more info...thanks.

Upvote 0
xNJxPlague
Just to be clear, the link that alprazolam provides you (above) only has pictures for Part I of the rooting process. You still need to perform parts II and III - getting Amon_RA's recovery installed (part II), and then loading a dev ROM onto the phone by using the Amon_RA recovery boot menu (Part III).
eu1

Thanks for clarifying. I used the other thread (and very helpful irc folks) to root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones