• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to share files wirelessly between V and computer?

I was wondering what ways I could share files wirelessly between the V and the computer. Is there some app to use? Does ES File Explorer support this? Breaking out the usb cable gets a bit bothersome.
MyPhoneExplorer works very well (free) as does WiFi File Explorer (Pro version free on GetJar). I prefer MyPhoneExplorer, as it does have nice features other than file transfer.

Upvote 0
Couldn't find wifi file explorer pro on get jar

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Sorry about that! I couldn't find it either, even though that is where I got it. Try this link: GetJar | Mobile | Search Google Nexus One Apps
Seems they only allow certain phones to see some apps...
You should be able to put it in the Quick Download and then use GetJar on your phone and get it that way.
[edit] OK, I tried it, GetJar still won't let me download it. I still prefer MyPhoneExplorer, much nicer app, free on Play Store

Reactions: a5pe4
Upvote 0
Just FYI- If you are running BACKside, you have CIFS support. This means you can mount a CIFS shared folder located on your PC, and treat it as if it were on your phone. Thanks to BobZhome for including the CIFS module in his awesome kernel! CIFS also allows you to treat the file as if it were actually on the phone, meaning if you watch a video from your PC, you don't have to transfer it to the phone first, it will stream seemlessly.

There is also the adb over network function, this enables you to use your home WiFi network to transfer files via adb between your PC and phone.

No need for third party apps with BACKside. ;)

Upvote 0
I like Samba File Sharing (requires root). Once you install it on your phone any device on your network (Windows, Linux, Mac with suitable drivers) can access your phone's SD card.

With my previous Android it worked as soon as I activated WiFi on my phone, but with the Optimus apparently when the phone goes to sleep it deactivates the WiFi.

Reactions: mishmosh2000
Upvote 0
Just FYI- If you are running BACKside, you have CIFS support. This means you can mount a CIFS shared folder located on your PC, and treat it as if it were on your phone. Thanks to BobZhome for including the CIFS module in his awesome kernel! CIFS also allows you to treat the file as if it were actually on the phone, meaning if you watch a video from your PC, you don't have to transfer it to the phone first, it will stream seemlessly.

There is also the adb over network function, this enables you to use your home WiFi network to transfer files via adb between your PC and phone.

Would like to know how to do that

Upvote 0

This sounds fantastic but I'm not sure how to implement this CIFS shared folder. I googled and it looks like I might have to use terminal editor but I'm not sure what I'd have to type.

Upvote 0
I like Samba File Sharing (requires root). Once you install it on your phone any device on your network (Windows, Linux, Mac with suitable drivers) can access your phone's SD card.

With my previous Android it worked as soon as I activated WiFi on my phone, but with the Optimus apparently when the phone goes to sleep it deactivates the WiFi.

Samba = CIFS, and you don't have to install anything on BACKside. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones