• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to stop breaking up texts.

A

Android Question

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3 through Straight Talk (under a Verison carrier). Every time that I recieve a text that is on the long side my messages will break up and I will recieve the text in bits and pieces. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

Not a thing except, perhaps, educate the people sending you texts. SMS, the protocol used for texting, is limited to 140 octets or, in our alphabet, 160 7-bit (the non-pseudo-graphic) characters. That's the way the system was designed and, for many technical reasons, it's going to stay that way. They can use apps that take all the text over 160 characters, form it into a text file and attach that file for you to download, or - if they really have to say more than 160 words [I'm one of them - why use one word when 5 will do?] use email, which - practically, at least - isn't limited if it's strictly text. (How many people can stand to type even 10 million characters, and that would be a pretty stingy email service these days.)

But I don't know of any SMS apps that will take broken RECEIVED texts and figure out how to paste them back together again. (There's no indication in the SMS where it broke just because it hit the 160 mark, or where it broke because your sender broke at a 160 mark, then sent you a separate message.)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones