• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Unlock (and Root) the Bell Galaxy S2. Step by Step Guide

Bad news guys.

I sold my S2 as I got an iPhone 4s for work. Ya Ya save the flamethrowers.
It`s not like I`m going to start putting apple decals on my car or weep when I see Apple commercials on TV.

I'm sure I'll probably grab the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out so I should be back soon enough lol

I'll maintain this thread though so feel free to keep asking questions. I don`t feel right just abandoning it.

Upvote 0
I recently updated my phone from KG2 to KI3 sicopat using Blue's instructions. They were very helpful, thank you! While everything went very smothly I am now noticing a couple issues.

While trying to freeze the apps that Blue mentioned I found out that KI3 disables Bell GPS navigation and IMEI tracker so I didn't have to worry about those.
But when I try to freeze the other apps like WiFi sharing and social hub, Titanium gets stuck on "Freezing whatever." I waited there for a couple minutes and then killed titanium. Going back in, it says they are frozen, did it actually work?

Secondly, I am now noticing a little stutter when i swipe between home screens.
I never noticed this on KG2. Is anyone else having this issue as well?

Upvote 0
I recently updated my phone from KG2 to KI3 sicopat using Blue's instructions. They were very helpful, thank you! While everything went very smothly I am now noticing a couple issues.

While trying to freeze the apps that Blue mentioned I found out that KI3 disables Bell GPS navigation and IMEI tracker so I didn't have to worry about those.
But when I try to freeze the other apps like WiFi sharing and social hub, Titanium gets stuck on "Freezing whatever." I waited there for a couple minutes and then killed titanium. Going back in, it says they are frozen, did it actually work?

Secondly, I am now noticing a little stutter when i swipe between home screens.
I never noticed this on KG2. Is anyone else having this issue as well?

I believe the lag is due to the rom, and that there is a fix for it on XDA.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone
Thanks for great instructions. I have rooted and unlocked my SGS2 from Bell Canada. Now I tried the procedure to flash it back with ROM from Bell in the post. But I still see the yellow triangle. Can anybody tell me why this is happening? I understood that flashing with the Bell ROM will remove the triangle? Is this correct? In other words I want the phone to be in its original conditions without rooting or unlocking. Please help.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm a brand new S2 user! I recently picked up a Bell/Virgin galaxy s2 with the intention of unlocking it and using it with my current carrier, Koodo (I'm in Canada). Is there a way to unlock the phone without rooting it? (I understand there are risks involved with bricking the phone).

Thanks!

No you must root it if you want the free unlock or you don't have access to system files. You can pay to unlock it though without root which is a sim unlock code.

You can't really brick this phone. I mean you really have to mess it up. Even with a screw up you can still get the phone to boot with odin. So no real worries there.

Upvote 0
Hey all so I rooted my phone back in august thanks to your guide.

dcyp6u.jpg

As you can see I am on 2.3.3 I want to update to 2.3.6. So I went to intratechs thread on xda and was wondering if I could use this firmware

XWKK2

Firmware info
PDA:XWKK2
PHONE: XXKI4
Date: 11/11/2011
Android 2.3.6

XEN (Netherlands): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

XWKK2 Stock Kernel: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

How do I know if I am to download the XEN or stock file? Lastly after I install the xwkk2 firmware I need to install the corresponding kernel in CF's thread? Is it this one? CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_KK2-v5.0-CWM5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.46 MB, 669 views) Lastly why does this kernel only have 600 views is it unstable or something?

Upvote 0
Hey all so I rooted my phone back in august thanks to your guide.

dcyp6u.jpg

As you can see I am on 2.3.3 I want to update to 2.3.6. So I went to intratechs thread on xda and was wondering if I could use this firmware

XWKK2

Firmware info
PDA:XWKK2
PHONE: XXKI4
Date: 11/11/2011
Android 2.3.6

XEN (Netherlands): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

XWKK2 Stock Kernel: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

How do I know if I am to download the XEN or stock file? Lastly after I install the xwkk2 firmware I need to install the corresponding kernel in CF's thread? Is it this one? CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_KK2-v5.0-CWM5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.46 MB, 669 views) Lastly why does this kernel only have 600 views is it unstable or something?

It does not matter if your are using a different-country based rom. You can use the XEN rom. The only ones you can't are where Intratech note that the rom is for a different model.

To summarize:

1. Flash the KK2 rom
2. Flash KK2 Cf-root kernel

The rom was just released a few days ago and is the first one with 2.3.6 so there probably won't be that many views.

Upvote 0
Hello Androiders, I just have one really quick question:
Too many of my friends have iphones. I want to get an S2 and restore some balance. I'm looking to buy a Bell version on craigslist/kijiji.
If I root/unlock, will I be able to get a phone free from all the crap bell puts on the phone? I basically want a clean, unbranded, factory original S2. I don't want any remanents of bell software whatsoever.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello Androiders, I just have one really quick question:
Too many of my friends have iphones. I want to get an S2 and restore some balance. I'm looking to buy a Bell version on craigslist/kijiji.
If I root/unlock, will I be able to get a phone free from all the crap bell puts on the phone? I basically want a clean, unbranded, factory original S2. I don't want any remanents of bell software whatsoever.

Thanks!

Yup no problem. You can load a stock or custom rom like Sicopat with no garbage. You can use my guide to do this.

Upvote 0
Hey all so I updated to 2.3.6 yay! Anyway it seemed to install something called suggests is this safe to uninstall? Also I read somewhere that wi-fi sharing/wifi-sharing manager are also safe to freeze/uninstall and imeit tracker. Anyone know if they are thanks!

Sweet. Yes freeze wifi sharing and manager, imei tracker, and both social hub processes. This will improve battery life a lot. Don't uninstall them. Wifi sharing is used for wifi direct and you may need it at some point.

Reactions: RoRo1990
Upvote 0
Thank you for your tutorial. It was really helpful. I have two questions:
1- There are 3 new programs installed. Is it safe to uninstall them and do you suggest to do so? CWM-Superuser-Galaxy S Unlock
2- In order to get rid of the yellow triangle, if I am not mistaken, I need to use a stock file instead of the "CF-Root" you mentioned in your tutorial. Where can I find the stock version for my phone from virgin?
Android: 2.3.3
My previous Kernel before unlocking the phone: I9100MUGKG2
My current Kernel after unlocking the phone: I9100JPKG2

I prefer to go with a kernel similar to my previous (original) one.

Thanks very much again for your help.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your tutorial. It was really helpful. I have two questions:
1- There are 3 new programs installed. Is it safe to uninstall them and do you suggest to do so? CWM-Superuser-Galaxy S Unlock
2- In order to get rid of the yellow triangle, if I am not mistaken, I need to use a stock file instead of the "CF-Root" you mentioned in your tutorial. Where can I find the stock version for my phone from virgin?
Android: 2.3.3
My previous Kernel before unlocking the phone: I9100MUGKG2
My current Kernel after unlocking the phone: I9100JPKG2

I prefer to go with a kernel similar to my previous (original) one.

Thanks very much again for your help.

1. You need CWM (clockwork mod). This is an app that can update your clockwork mod recovery, allow you to boot into recovery etc. Don't uninstall it.
Same goes for Superuser. This is the app that allows apps that need to access system files also called root apps. Without the superuser app your root is kind of pointless. Root means you now have access to the hidden system directories and can make changes to specific files and modules that control how your phone works. You can uninstall the unlock app but I left it on mine.

2. To get rid of the triangle you need to flash a stock kernel but here is the important part:
You need to flash the stock kernel that matches your current rooted kernel.

Let me explain:
Say you kept the stock rom but just rooted with a CF-Root-KG2 kernel. To get rid of the triangle you would flash a stock KG2 (does not have to be a bell or virgin one) in odin by selecting the PDA button like before.

If you updated to a newer stock rom (which I would) then you would need to match the kernels (KI3 with KI3 etc..). The Intratech thread I linked to below has these. Or if you go to a pre-rooted rom then you don't have to root again.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: si14
Upvote 0
Thanks very much indeed for your prompt and informative reply. I would like to ask some more questions.

Say you kept the stock rom but just rooted with a CF-Root-KG2 kernel. To get rid of the triangle you would flash a stock KG2 (does not have to be a bell or virgin one).
1-In the same page, there are similar Virgin files (UGKG2) for Kernel and Firmware. Why not using those instead of Bell? Since I got my phone from Virgin.
2-If I want to return the phone to the original state, is there any stock Kernel for Virgin? Say, if I want to return the phone.
If you updated to a newer stock rom (which I would) then you would need to match the kernels (KI3 with KI3 etc..). The Intratech thread I linked to below has these. Or if you go to a pre-rooted rom then you don't have to root again.

I would highly recommend updating to a newer firmware first. Then flashing the stock matching kernel afterwards.
I have not done anything to the phone except for unlocking it following the first post. It seems that it's better to update two more things, ROM and Firmware.
I am not familiar with these. I will do some study and will try to find a good ROM.
3-If I update the ROM and the Firmware, the Android version will change as well (current 2.3.3)? and do I need to change the Modem?

Thanks so much again.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much indeed for your prompt and informative reply. I would like to ask some more questions.

1-In the same page, there are similar Virgin files (UGKG2) for Kernel and Firmware. Why not using those instead of Bell? Since I got my phone from Virgin.

Yes, sorry when I had my Bell version there was no Virgin firmware listed. You can use the Virgin one but it should be identical to the bell one.

2-If I want to return the phone to the original state, is there any stock Kernel for Virgin? Say, if I want to return the phone.
It's the same kernel as the one you found. To return to stock you flash the stock rom and then the stock kernel (sometimes necessary but not always depending which version you are coming from)

3-If I update the ROM and the Firmware, the Android version will change as well (current 2.3.3)? and do I need to change the Modem?

Newer roms are 2.3.5 the last time I used the phone. Might be newer now. I would recommend Sicopat's stock rom (on my front page) or you can go with any other pre rooted roms.

To install a rom there are two ways. Odin way and the most common form which is flashing a zip. I can help you with this if you want. Very easy to do.
I however stress that you do a nandroid backup in the recovery menu in case anything goes wrong BEFORE trying any roms. That way you always have a backup to go back to and you won't risk ruining your phone. It amazes me that so few people do this but it avoids any potential headaches later on. I have only had a couple bad updates because of screw ups in probably over 100 rom flashes and I was able to boot back the backup without issue. It is very hard to screw up this phone if you have a backup.

No the modem will be updated with the rom. The newer roms have much better battery management and instant GPS locks (something the KG2 rom was not able to do very well)

Upvote 0
Thanks a million for your help. I really appreciate that. At the moment, I have a yellow triangle on my screen, which I understand it is because it is rooted, so one can access the system files. Therefore, I will flash the stock virgin kernel you provided, in order to remove the triangle and put the phone in a safer mode, in terms of not accessing the system files.
BTW, is it harmful for the phone to be rooted frequently? I mean root with one temporarily kernel and stock kernel several times?
I would recommend Sicopat's stock rom (on my front page) or you can go with any other pre rooted roms.
To install a rom there are two ways. Odin way and the most common form which is flashing a zip. I can help you with this if you want. Very easy to do.
Unfortunately, I do not have micro sd card, so I will postpone this for another 3-4 days most probably.
I however stress that you do a nandroid backup in the recovery menu in case anything goes wrong BEFORE trying any roms. That way you always have a backup to go back to and you won't risk ruining your phone. It amazes me that so few people do this but it avoids any potential headaches later on. I have only had a couple bad updates because of screw ups in probably over 100 rom flashes and I was able to boot back the backup without issue. It is very hard to screw up this phone if you have a backup.
Perfect! This seems essential. Unfortunately, I have no information about nandroid backup. Therefore, I need to study that and first get some backup and then proceed flashing a ROM.

Again, thank you very much indeed for your help.

Upvote 0
Therefore, I will flash the stock virgin kernel you provided, in order to remove the triangle and put the phone in a safer mode, in terms of not accessing the system files.
BTW, is it harmful for the phone to be rooted frequently? I mean root with one temporarily kernel and stock kernel several times?
After you flash the stock kernel after the rooted kernel it will still be rooted.
The only way to unroot is to flash back a stock rom. Keep the rooted status. It is much more beneficial and gives much greater control over the phone such as access to root applications and themes. And no, it is not harmful to flash over rooted roms at all.

Unfortunately, I do not have micro sd card, so I will postpone this for another 3-4 days most probably.

You don't need an sd card to do a nandroid or load on a ZIP Rom. You can install and back up to the internal storage.

Therefore, I need to study that and first get some backup and then proceed flashing a ROM.

Again, thank you very much indeed for your help.

Sure, hit me up when you want to try a rom as a zip. I can post a guide soon on the main post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones