• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Upgrade to 5.7906 from rooted 2.3.4

Somewhat of a newbie here.

I have a D3 on verizon network operating on Droid version 2.3.4
My phone is rooted.

How can I upgrade to ver 5.7906? Please, easy to understand instructions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Your phone is rooted, but have you done anything else? Have you installed a custom ROM? Have you removed any pre-installed software (i.e., bloatware)?

If you do not have a custom ROM, what is the system version number in settings->about phone? (the numbers before the "XT862")

Upvote 0
I did remove some pre-installed bloatware that I really don't care if I ever get back again.

Ah, but there's the rub; probably the easiest way to update is to let the OTA install, but it will fail on install if you have removed any pre-installed bloatware.

I think that your best bet is to use a utility called RSD Lite to flash the 5.6.890 software, with of the preinstalled software, back onto your phone. I believe that this will do the equivalent of a factory data reset, so you will lose all data and apps.

The instructions and the two files to download are in this thread: http://androidforums.com/droid-3-all-things-root/408712-root-ultimate-droid3-root-rom-thread.html

I believe that those instructions are pretty easy to follow.

See the section at the bottom, "Unbricking/SBFing the DROID3 (Or returning to stock without a Nandroid)"

After you install that and restart the phone, you will have to set up the phone from scratch, and it should be an unrooted, 5.6.890 phone. Then you can update to 5.7.906 by going to settings->about phone->software updates.

HOWEVER, if you debloated using Pete Souza's debloating script, rather than manually deleting files, you can install the 5.7.906 update over your existing build without losing apps and data. This would also be the case if you debloated by renaming the .apk files to .old or something without deleting the files. If that's the case, I'll point you in another direction...

Upvote 0
Alrighty. I thought that I might have to go to a "factory reset" type thing but didn't know how to go that. Thank you for the links on how that is done.

A quick last question, once I do the flash reset to the orignal 5.6.890 , am I going to have to go to Verizon to get my phone registered and working with them again?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I don't think so. At the very least, you should be able to dial *228 and then choose option 1 to activate the phone on the network.

Okay. Well, here comes the curveball. It looks like I backed up all original files after I rooted but before I deleted the bloatware. I used Titanium Pro.

If I restore the original files using Titanium Pro, will I still be rooted and will I be able to get the 5.7906 update via OTA?

Upvote 0
Okay. Well, here comes the curveball. It looks like I backed up all original files after I rooted but before I deleted the bloatware. I used Titanium Pro.

If I restore the original files using Titanium Pro, will I still be rooted and will I be able to get the 5.7906 update via OTA?

Unfortunately, with system files, all but very recent versions (like the last couple of weeks) of Titanium backed up system data only - they did not back up the actual app files themselves.

Do you know exactly what you removed?

Upvote 0
Wait... you should be able to tell from Titanium. If you go into Titanium, go to "Backup/Restore", click to edit filters, and choose just system, the ones that are crossed out are the ones that are missing.

Well, I think this is good news. I filtered by system and non of the them are crossed out. Does that mean I can restore back to the original state?

Upvote 0
Wait... you should be able to tell from Titanium. If you go into Titanium, go to "Backup/Restore", click to edit filters, and choose just system, the ones that are crossed out are the ones that are missing.

And just to clarify, when I backed up the originals (after rooting), I backed up in a folder I called "Orginals". I have backed up since, but into another folder so that the originals are kept separate from other backups.

Upvote 0
Well, I think this is good news. I filtered by system and non of the them are crossed out. Does that mean I can restore back to the original state?

Also, I'm not sure if this means anything, but when I choose to filter by "UNINST." by itself, there are files that are crossed out. But there are no files crossed out when I filter by "System" by itself.

Upvote 0
Also, I'm not sure if this means anything, but when I choose to filter by "UNINST." by itself, there are files that are crossed out. But there are no files crossed out when I filter by "System" by itself.

Ah, those may be them.

I've been looking for an official 5.6.890 update with all of the /system/app files, but the only one that I can find was lost in the multiupload.com seizure last year. If you can figure out which apps were deleted, I may be able to find them still. That would preserve data, allow you to update in place without needing to reauthorize the phone with Verizon, etc.

Another idea, though - if you want to stay rooted, I know of a 5.7.906 system ROM. You can install Safestrap, then keep your stock system safe, install a custom ROM and restart from scratch. Since you have Titanium, you'll be able to pretty quickly get your third party apps and data reinstalled.

It's quite simple and I think safer than the SBF process anyway.

Upvote 0
Ah, those may be them.

I've been looking for an official 5.6.890 update with all of the /system/app files, but the only one that I can find was lost in the multiupload.com seizure last year. If you can figure out which apps were deleted, I may be able to find them still. That would preserve data, allow you to update in place without needing to reauthorize the phone with Verizon, etc.

Another idea, though - if you want to stay rooted, I know of a 5.7.906 system ROM. You can install Safestrap, then keep your stock system safe, install a custom ROM and restart from scratch. Since you have Titanium, you'll be able to pretty quickly get your third party apps and data reinstalled.

It's quite simple and I think safer than the SBF process anyway.

Okay. I double checked, and I may have been looking in the wrong backup folder. USing Titanium Pro, I have now accessed the correct folder (where my original backup files are). I filtered by "System" and "Uninst" together. There are some files that are crossed out, BUT, they are also showing as being backed up. I think I have ALL the files and would be happy to post or email the list to you to see what you think.
As I said, I really am something of a newbie and it would seem to me, if these are ALL the correct files, restoring them may be the most prudent way to proceed. I understand nothing is guaranteed, but if you want to take a look at the list and give your opinion, I'd be happy to send a list of all the files showing up on my Tatanium backup. I do believe these are ALL of the originals.
Just let me know. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones