• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to use google maps offline?

Big Dan

Lurker
Feb 29, 2016
I'm going on a 10 hour drive in 2 days and since it'll be another country for 80% of it I cant rely on my data. I see that we can use Google Maps offline but I cant really figure it out. From the instructions I've googled I can download a part of the map. But that doesnt help me, I cant look at a map while driving, and I dont need to see all of various states, just the route I'm driving through. Apparently there's way to save driving instructions but the options I'm seeing on youtube etc just arent showing up on my phone.

How can I save instructions offline? Is it possible to have the voice guiding me offline as well?

This is Lollipop on GS5.

I'm going on a 10 hour drive in 2 days and since it'll be another country for 80% of it I cant rely on my data. I see that we can use Google Maps offline but I cant really figure it out. From the instructions I've googled I can download a part of the map. But that doesnt help me, I cant look at a map while driving, and I dont need to see all of various states, just the route I'm driving through. Apparently there's way to save driving instructions but the options I'm seeing on youtube etc just arent showing up on my phone.

How can I save instructions offline? Is it possible to have the voice guiding me offline as well?

This is Lollipop on GS5.

Hi, you can download, by Wi-Fi, as many map sections as you require to cover your 'start' and 'destination' points.

Screenshot_20161108-060241.png Screenshot_20161108-060303.png Screenshot_20161108-060322.png Screenshot_20161108-060417.png

The map sections can be saved in either device storage or SD card.

Once you have the map sections saved you will have full off-line search, route planning and navigation functions including voice turn-by-turn guidance so there is no requirement to save instructions. I find Google Maps search function and voice directions are as good as any and better than most other navigation apps I've used. Currently off-line navigation does not include public transport, walking or cycling.

You can preview your route prior to navigation.

An alternative would be to use a free, off-line, navigation app such as Magic Earth which has the added bonus of including public transport, walking and cycling directions. It has an excellent range of maps for download and can be quite economical as far as storage is concerned because larger countries are available in region/state areas.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM WANG M
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones