• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *-*-*How to use ROMS, upgrade nightlys, Apps2SD, Synergy Kingdom*-*-*

Dreamliner

Android Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2009
:thinking:Does anyone know the proper way to setup and use these ROMS?:thinking:

I previously stayed with the FreshROM as it was very stable and compact. The eye candy of Synergy-Kingdom (Sense 3) is too much to resist.

Because the ROM is so bloated, I decided to try the APP 2 SD. Admittedly, I dont know really how it works.

In the boot loader, I partitioned the SD with:

0 Swap size

896 ext

Then I installed Synergy-Kingdom Nightly 7-11-11 and set up my email accounts and downloaded apps.

All of the Apps installed onto the phone memory and I had to press 'Move to SD' in manage applications for each one...why does this not install on the sd card automatically?

I was told wiping only 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' would not delete my information when upgrading Nightly's.

I wiped 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' and installed the 7-17-11 Nightly, it wiped out all my apps and I had to re-setup all my emails and settings as well.

What am I doing wrong?

In short:

1) How do I properly setup my SD card for Apps to SD?
2) How do I get downloaded apps to automatically install on SD?
3) How do I retain my information when upgrading nightlys?

Thanks. :D

(Oh and, I did search, all the 'lingo' and short handed incoherent responses make finding useful information very difficult)

:thinking:Does anyone know the proper way to setup and use these ROMS?:thinking:

I previously stayed with the FreshROM as it was very stable and compact. The eye candy of Synergy-Kingdom (Sense 3) is too much to resist.

Because the ROM is so bloated, I decided to try the APP 2 SD. Admittedly, I dont know really how it works.

In the boot loader, I partitioned the SD with:

0 Swap size

896 ext

Then I installed Synergy-Kingdom Nightly 7-11-11 and set up my email accounts and downloaded apps.

All of the Apps installed onto the phone memory and I had to press 'Move to SD' in manage applications for each one...why does this not install on the sd card automatically?

I was told wiping only 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' would not delete my information when upgrading Nightly's.

I wiped 'cache' and 'dalvik cache' and installed the 7-17-11 Nightly, it wiped out all my apps and I had to re-setup all my emails and settings as well.

What am I doing wrong?

In short:

1) How do I properly setup my SD card for Apps to SD?
2) How do I get downloaded apps to automatically install on SD?
3) How do I retain my information when upgrading nightlys?

Thanks. :D

(Oh and, I did search, all the 'lingo' and short handed incoherent responses make finding useful information very difficult)

i used this [GUIDE][07/07/11]How to Partition your SD Card guide. only i set my swap at 32 rather then 0. everything seems to be working for me.

have you tried the marketa2sd .zip that virus's has. in his nightly folder go to the older folder and it should be there.

as far as info for the nightlies. i believe you can just wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash away. i have not tried yet to update that way as i have been jumping from rom to rom of late. i have not found a solid daily yet. the only one i do keep coming back to is virus's kingdom 1.3.

Upvote 0
^Ok great. The "upgrade ext 2 to ext3" step was what I was missing.

I still dont know about updating nightlies....maybe the apps will stay, but I think I'm still going to have to set everything up again.

FreshROM has been the most stable for me, but Synergy-Kingdom is so purddy...I just wish the wifi would stop dropping. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones